Working with someone?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by bathroom boy, Dec 28, 2010.

  1. bathroom boy

    bathroom boy New Member

    I intend to have my son working with me in the near future, I have been a one man band for a number of years now in bathroom refurbishment, what is the simplest way of doing this for i.e do I employ him or create a partner ship, I really don't want to get into a quagmire of legislation, some out there must have a similar arrangement, please give me some tips. Thanks
  2. palavaman

    palavaman Well-Known Member

    if you go into a partnership, it means the tax burden is reduced as you get to split the profits (50/50, 60/40, 70/30, 80/20, etc).
  3. SteveMJ

    SteveMJ Active Member

    As I understand (I am not an accountant or in the legal profession) either partner is wholly responsible for the tax burden of both partners. i.e if one doesn't pay their tax the other is responsible for it to the tax man.

  4. joinerjohn1

    joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

    I hope , your son wants and likes working with you though BB.  I've seen instances in the past where father /son relationships have gone sadly wrong and have caused rather bad feelings between them.
  5. Captain Leaky

    Captain Leaky New Member

    Avoid a partnership. Employ him as a an employee and establish that you are the boss!
  6. tom.plum

    tom.plum Screwfix Select

    i employed my son. in my case it was a mistake, when he came out of his apprentiship, i don't know which one of us was the most glad for us to stop working with each other,, and now we have things are back to normal i'm happy to say,  i trained another lad since and he was far more enthustiastic
  7. bathroom boy

    bathroom boy New Member

    The thing I want to know is how do I go about employing somebody, I never done it before, whats involved, will I have to deduct his tax, NI stuff like that, then theres the health and safety angle, at the moment all my stuff is fairly simple.
  8. tom.plum

    tom.plum Screwfix Select

    the tax people are very helpfull, they will send you all the information and give you a cd with lots of advise about taking tax and insurance off him, you are responsible for his tax and you have to pay it every month, and they mider you if you don't, keep the paper work up weekley if you don't it gets overbearing, other resonsibilities are employers insurance and public liability, training, sickness benifit and holiday payments, welfare and safety, ppe,  its a load of worry and stress but if he shapes up its worth it,  just having somebody with you cleaning up and keeping an eye on your tools is a BIG plus and a hepling hand for those 4 handed jobs good luck ,
  9. removed 7

    removed 7 New Member

    For goodness' sake, bb:  Employ your son on a strictly-come-cash arrangement, 'til you know that things are working out.  The taxman needn't know of such private family arrangements.

    There's quite a difference in tax law between using the services of a family member and the formal engagement of  an absolutly unrelated stranger.........

    However, it's nearly always better to employ someone else's son, other than your own - because familiarity breeds contempt on both sides.......

  10. titch241172

    titch241172 New Member

    HA HA HA gd luck thats alls ill say after having my sone with me !:'(
  11. bathroom boy

    bathroom boy New Member

    The thing is my son is out of work at the moment and prospects are poor with the present climate, I not talking teenager, he is 30, very bright and will be quick to learn, I feel once he get's up to speed we could expand the business and this would pay for his keep and secure a future for him. I have not got the enthusiasm and drive to do this alone, just a thought at the moment.
  12. moliver34

    moliver34 New Member

    So your a bathroom fitter and you want your 30 year old son to work with another plumber, as you cant be asked to train him yourself !

    So some one takes him on, they train him and then he leaves and works with you...!
  13. joinerjohn1

    joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

    moliver, if you read the OP, he wants' to set him on himself. .
    Waht I can't understand is why his 30yr old son is doing still living at home.
  14. timber ninja

    timber ninja Member

    i would agree with Lucia, just keep it informal for the first few months.

    if its all rainbows and smiles then look into it. . . if not you have saved all the hassle!
  15. bathroom boy

    bathroom boy New Member

    joinerjohn, no way is he still at home
  16. bathroom boy

    bathroom boy New Member

    Yeah I 'll keep it to a casual basis for a while, see how it goes;)
  17. joinerjohn1

    joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

    Sorry BB I thought when you said he can pay for his keep, he was still at home. ;)
  18. removed 7

    removed 7 New Member

    BB: The thing about employing your son on a 'casual' basis, is that you'd both have an 'understanding' that the work is only there as long as it lasts and that you might have to do small jobs without his assistance.

    You wouldn't 'get away with this' if you employed an 'outsider'.  For a start, if you were to employ a stranger-lad, you'd have to deal with his interfering mother who would constantly remind you of your duties as an employer to care for her precious lad - to provide him with barrier cream, gloves, safety boots, hi-vis vest, hard hat,  proper working conditions, insurance etc etc......

    So perhaps you ought to stick with the devil you know. At 30 years of age, your lad must've reached a certain maturity - and would probably enjoy working with his dear old dad......

    Good luck to the pair of you, and Happy New Year......


Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice