works dried up

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by wilson, Oct 24, 2009.

1. wilson

wilson New Member

work seems to have dried up a bit, and have only ever relied on word of mouth. so thinking of advertising but not sure the best method, internet seems a waste of time, yell pages seems expensive with loads of competition. Not even got advertising on the van at the mo? any advise much appreciated

2. ­

­ New Member

become a postman.

3. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I got my magnetic van signs from these people. £69.00 for 2 big signs and they threw in a small sign for the back door for free.
    I've had over £1000.00 worth of business off them since August.

4. ­

­ New Member

ok then, become a signwriter.

5. chesterdrawers

chesterdrawers New Member

Become a member of parliament.

6. ponty01.

ponty01. New Member

£1000 in three months. what an investment that was

7. ponty01.

ponty01. New Member

£333.333 per month:(

thats not more than a days work to a good tradesperson :)

IWS: Information With a Smile :)

8. ponty01.

ponty01. New Member

£333.333 per month:(

thats not much more than a days work to a good tradesperson :)

(trying to get my count up :^O )

9. clueless jon

clueless jon New Member

have you tried using more water?

10. G Brown

G Brown New Member

You should have been marketing yourself BEFORE the work dried up!

11. wilson

wilson New Member

I am! I'm used to having 6 months work infront, at the mo Ive got 4 weeks work with not many enquiries coming in. So trying to sort somehing out, as I don't fancy becoming a postman.

12. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

PoncyNo2
    A tax deductible expense of £69.00 turned into £1000.00 of turnover in 3 months, yeah I'm happy with that. There is potentially another £4500.00 coming off the same job and several people have asked for my card after seeing the sign writing.
    Are you saying that having your van sign written is a bad move?
    You must get loads of work by being known as the 'kin useless * who inhabits the sfx forum talking to himself.

[Edited by: admin]

13. G Brown

G Brown New Member

Always have your van sign written - it's the best advertising you have.

14. myplastererdotcom

myplastererdotcom New Member

Dont take any notice of him mate he's obviously thick, he cant seem to spot that its a grand you made on top of what you would have made in them 3 months.

People like him just open their stupid gob and all this shight starts coming out with not one single thought added to it.

For a £69 outlay you netted £931

Well done that is fantastic business

15. Switcher

Switcher New Member

We've never had our vans sign written nor advertise. All word of mouth.
    Not being complacent though as businesses are going * up every week and would be lying to say work is plentiful.
    The one strength you must have in tough times is "competiveness". Without this failure is just around the corner.
    You use what you make in good times to level up with the bad times.
    We've just spent 20k on new plant in the last few months which will replace some of the older stuff.
    But now's the time to buy!

[Edited by: admin]

16. ponty01.

ponty01. New Member

if its an extra £1000 of business then say that

as mentioned, word of mouth is the best form of advertising. fancy signwriting on the van does not guarentee repeat business. quality workmanship does.

17. ThreadJacker

ThreadJacker Active Member

Driving round in a plain blank van is criminal, get it sign written you get people knocking on the door of where you're working, people seeing your van out and about and seeing your company name, customers see you van when you pull up and know its you (good for the hard to find places) constant advertising where ever you are.

My van generates lots of work, it cost me £180 to get it done and its payed for its self many many times over.

I will be ridiculed for this but I would go as far as saying any tradesman without sign writting is a fool. :O

You have to make it look eye catching though, I have a bright red Combo with blue and white logo's and writing. Its very discintive and there's nothing like it on the road.

18. ­

­ New Member

I agree and I too have a bright red Combo with blue and white logo's and writing, there's nothing like it on the road.

19. HOTDOG ø

HOTDOG ø Active Member

Works has not dried up - someones else is getting it.

Ask yourself "Why?"

What can YOU do to improve your chances of getting the work that is out there.

Advertising
    Sign written van
    Recommendations
    Selling skills
    Contact Landlords/agencies/councils/contacts
    Personal appearance ?

etc etc

20. G Brown

G Brown New Member

Good advice. Work is out there, you have to fight for it.