works on an old prc house

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by eeww, Jul 18, 2020.

1. eeww

eeww New Member

hi,

I have a back window that I want to turn in to a upvc door on an old prefab house. Can a builder come and do it ? Or does it need to be a proper prc firm as they are licensed to carry on repairs on these type of properties. The thing is the firm is a lot pricey and the builder is half the quote.

Thank you for any advice.

2. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

You don't need a licence but you should inform the council via their building control department of what you plan to undertake, that's your responsibility as the homeowner not the tradesmans, it would kill two birds with one stone as being a glazing installation it would need to be checked/certified via either FENSA nonsense or again by the council.

Like anything in life, you get what you pay for, a builder can certainly do the work, possibly better than the upvc firm, possibly not. If he's half the price then that's a gamble you take.

3. sparky steve

sparky steve Screwfix Select

“I have a back window that I want to turn in to a upvc door on an old prefab house”.
    Think even Dynamo would struggle to achieve that one:D

4. Frutbunn

Frutbunn Active Member

You can't use FENSA for a replacement window where it involves the alteration of the opening this includes non structural alterations.

5. eeww

eeww New Member

Thank you for the advice. I have check the builders works and references, he is clear of a cowboy. My concerns where that i needed some licensed firm. The builder did say I needed to go trough planning portals building control as the opening needs to be wider.