Workshop cost (with pics)

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Not Too Sure, Jul 28, 2013.

1. Not Too Sure

Not Too Sure Member

HI Everyone,

I'm based in the West Midlands and would like a rough idea of costs and things to watch out for in relation to a workshop I would like constructed. Any help gratefully received.

In the picture you can see my garage on the left and my neighbours on the right. I want to build a workshop in the middle (around 9ft wide and 15ft deep).

I want to match the bricks and have a double glazed single door into the workshop. Inside i just need a concrete floor, a light and a double socket.

I'm hoping I might be able to use my garage wall and my neighbours wall (which I won't drill into) as the side walls - which will reduce the cost (not sure if I have to ask their permission if I don't put holes in their wall.

[​IMG]

Thanks in advance.

2. Not Too Sure

Not Too Sure Member

Anyone???? :(

3. surfermick

surfermick New Member

you may ruin the damp proof course if you pour concrete in that space, how would you intend building up to his wall and making a roof water tight without drilling into the brick work.

4. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

It looks like he could have a pent roof high under next door's soffit, down to his own guttering, sorted.

However, 700 quid buys two 8' x 7' pent roof sheds, leave the middle ends off, join the rooves(roofs), gutter along his own side. Doors at both ends or use closed end at back. Separate, removable, not permanent, inbuilt floor, nice little DIY project.

IF the neighbour doesn't mind.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

5. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

''I want to match the bricks and have a double glazed single door into the workshop. Inside i just need a concrete floor, a light and a double socket.''

you won't get that with a couple of cheap sheds - It's not really reasonable to ask for costing's when there is no detailed specification - but expect to get quotes for anything between 2 - 5K for a properly constructed unit

the first thing you should be doing is to approach your neighbour and ask if you can build off their wall and then drawing up some rough plans of what you are wanting, also consider you may need planning permission dependant on size of unit and PD rights

6. Not Too Sure

Not Too Sure Member

Thanks for taking the time to respond gents, very much appreciated.

The joining of shed idea is quite clever - might just go down that route and minimise the headache.

I don't really want a permanent structure linked to the neighbours wall, in case the neighbour moves and the next person is not as obliging !!!