Workshop / Shed materials help

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Mike Rowlands, Oct 5, 2016.

1. Mike Rowlands

Mike Rowlands New Member

Hi all,

I am looking at building a shed in the garden to be used as a small woodworking workshop and also to house a chest freezer and tumble dryer.

The shed will be 2.4m Height (Apex), 2.4m Width and 2.4m Length and the frame constructed of 47mm x 75mm timber, pressure treated 47mm x 75mm timber frame base (Sitting on paving flags) and 18mm OSB floor.

I am looking to cover the exterior walls with 11mm OSB and the roof with 18mm OSB but I am unsure on the best way to weatherproof the walls and roof as cheap as possible.

All suggestions welcome.

Cheers, Mike.

2. Would clad the walls with shiplap to make the shed look decent.

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Post a wanted on your local Freecycle, might be lucky getting FREE shed, that's how I got my new 10x8 shed, couple had moved into new house which came with this shed,which they didn't wanted.:)

Also don't sit shed base direct on paving, I have mine sat on plastic fence posts,recycled plastic does not rot, warp, crack, or absorb moisture.

Welshdragon1 likes this.
  4. Bertiebasset

Bertiebasset Member

Weatherproofing Shed walls is not something you should skimp on, but at the time not something that's going to cost a lot. For the roof, my own personal shed is OSB board with Torch on felt. The walls treated inside and out with wood based sealent, insulated then boarded out with OSB. Not seen a leak, or slightest bit of water in 17 years.

I don't work in my shed, its just a holding place for garden tools, BBQ, few tools and other bits and pieces. I plan on making a bigger shed next summer which will accommodate everything i need it to for wood turning. I would build the same way as before.

Bertie

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Was hoping to build a small 20'x10' shed here,but another year has nearly passed & it is still not been built.:(

Bertiebasset likes this.
  6. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

What size timber are you going to be working with ? with a 2.4m shed you are going to be limited to timber about 1.2m otherwise you are going to be knocking into / over things

A shed / workshop like this work really well with wide doors and an outside covered area. upload_2016-10-5_16-6-27.png

For my own work shop, I did the face in shiplap painted a cornflower blue :)oops:) with white timber trim. This way the wife didn't complain too much about it

7. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

I would def use shiplap cladding at least for the sides that will be seen.
    When I built my shed the back section was up against a fence so I used osb for this side, gave it a couple of coats of bitumen paint before raising into position.
    Saved about £250 apposed to shiplap.
    :)

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Silva Timber do a wide range of cladding, might give you a few ideas, you might have a sawmill locally that has seconds,which are a bit cheaper, but perfectly good enough for a workshop.:)

http://www.silvatimber.co.uk/cladding.html

9. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

You're building a utility room for your wife not a workshop.

mr moose likes this.
  10. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

I picked some shiplap today from Wickes under £11 sq m, so in the original post about £65 a side, for me not worth messing about with OSB especially as I hate the stuff! ply or real timber for me

11. Mike Rowlands

Mike Rowlands New Member

Okay so the project is now well underway and all framework is complete. Here are some pictures of the progress:

How the garden started

[​IMG]

All cleared away and soil tilled ready for grass seed

[​IMG]

Flag base in progress

[​IMG]

Base complete and walls in progress

[​IMG]

More framework progress

[​IMG]

As it stands today

[​IMG]

Cheers,

Mike.

12. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

You need to put in 2 more joists to pick up the long edge of the floor by the wall, probably best to do the short edge as well.

13. Mike Rowlands

Mike Rowlands New Member

Yeah I noticed this hiccup shortly after screwing the walls down!

14. Mike Rowlands

Mike Rowlands New Member

Okay then, as for the sidings...

My initial plan for OSB would cost me just over £80

Shiplap seems to be a lot more expensive at approx £280!

I need to keep the costs down as much as possible so shiplap is a no go!

As for the roof would 11mm OSB be acceptable as it will more than likely be covered in torch on felt

15. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

You could unscrew the walls and slide the floor under. I don't know where you took your dimensions from.

16. Mike Rowlands

Mike Rowlands New Member

I was going to do that, but for simplicity I will be adding another 3x2 at either end to support the edges of the floorboards.

Not quite sure what you are referring to the dimensions for?

17. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

You said your shed was 8' x 8', is that internal dimensions or external. The difference is an easy job or a less easy job. It looks like you took the difficult option.

18. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Want to raise that shed off those pavers,otherwise you'll soon get rot in floor bearers.
    Plastic fence posts are great for sitting sheds on, they don't rot,soak up water,etc.

19. Mike Rowlands

Mike Rowlands New Member

The exterior dimensions are just short of 2.4m each wall. This will give me just enough overlap when covering with the 8x4 sheets. I assume this is what you are referring to?

20. Mike Rowlands

Mike Rowlands New Member

Great idea but added cost, If I have to replace a couple of the 3x2's in 5 years time its not a big deal at only £3 each.