Worktop fitting and run into a few issues.

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by APC, Dec 15, 2018.

1. APC

APC New Member

Well guys I'm on the other side, glued, clamped and screwed in place and the sink fitted all thanks you you guys, thanks for the help and advice really helped.

All glued and screwed after clamping
    [​IMG]

Fat screws x 4
    [​IMG]

Sink and tap fitted
    [​IMG]

Dan dan the man likes this.
  2. ginger tuffs

ginger tuffs Screwfix Select

looks good what problems ?

3. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

Remember...Prior Planning and Preparation Prevents Pi** Poor Performance.

Looks like a great job in the end though, Kudos!

WillyEckerslike and APC like this.
  4. APC

APC New Member

Learned the 7 P's in the T.A. Hans_25

ginger tuffs, sink fully working and draining now, had a slight drip on the overflow pipe but sorted that with an additional rubber washer. I do have another question though...

I noticed that if I fit a washing machine trap for the dishwasher it will take approx 80mm front to back, that's a considerable amount of space, that would stop the dishwasher going in under the worktop. So, I was thinking... could I drill a hole in the wall to feed the drain hose from the dishwasher out through the wall and into a shortened trap or a plain straight pipe that would run into a drain literally on the other side of the wall?

5. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

Take the dishwasher to under the sink.
    Just extend the hose

6. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

7. KEVIN NAIRN

KEVIN NAIRN Member

There's 2 common mistakes that inexperienced carps make when doing a Mason's mitre: not flipping one of the worktops upside down, to prevent the laminate breaking out, and when making a galley kitchen with 3 worktops, not making the 1st one wall to wall, and butting the left and right one up to it. If you make the left and right one full length, you can't get the biscuits in! I've done one joining of worktops, but don't like it because of the dreaded call back: "The worktops swelling up, can you come and have a look?"

8. APC

APC New Member

Finally starting to look like a kitchen. I've got all the doors on now, can't add the handles as howdens have given us Chrome Effect instead of Brushed Steel. Putting the worktop edging on later today. New cooker in the sales hopefully. Made my own base for the cooker so its raised up, will clad it with the laminate that is going on the floor so it should look "integrated" well that's the plan. Extractor hood now fitted, had a slight issue with ducting. the extractor came with a 150 to 120 reducer I reduced it further to 100mm, I had a 115mm and 107mm core drill so I opted for the 107mm talk about a snug fit, should have used the 115mm for an easier life but anyway that ducting ain't coming out of there anytime soon, nice and tight in with a bit of frame sealant around the edges for a pukka job.

[​IMG]

image.png

image.png

Last edited: Dec 23, 2018
    Jitender likes this.
  9. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Had to do something similar with a sink cutout.

I ended up putting in a batten against the wall, as this provides more support for the worktop as is fragile now with the sink cutout. Wouldn't want anyone standing or putting too much weight in this area.

Looks like you sealed the sink cutout as well.

Need to make sure that the joint is sealed, so keep an eye out since it is close to possible water spillage from the sink.

10. APC

APC New Member

Cheers Jitender, at the moment I'm paranoid about it lol I leave the tea towel laying over it I did put a lot of the blue evostik on the joints and left them bolted up tight, then masked them up later and colour filled the joint to cover any hairline gaps that might have existed. Only time will tell now. I gave the howdens worktop clamps back they were an awful design.

The silver is the same tape you seal underlay with when laying laminate, had some spare from when I played some laminate in my computer room so thought what the hell.

Jitender likes this.