Worktop Jig

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Maintenance Man, Nov 26, 2003.

1. Maintenance Man

Maintenance Man New Member

Does anyone know where i can get a set of instructions for a worktop jig. I have the jig but not sure how to use it!

2. kesh

kesh New Member

Check the "trend" website. Ive seen some for their jigs, My faithfull jig works the same way. If you take the time to think about it it should be fairly obvious which holes to put the pegs in. Remember to always work from left to right & cut into the post formed edge first, this will tell you which way up the worktop should be.

3. Macca

Macca Guest

I have recently bought a Unika worktop jig and used it for the first time last week but there was a problem when i cut the r/h female joint on a 600mm top the joint seems to be 5mm too short and the male overhangs by 5mm has anybody come across this problem before it`s as though the pegs are not in the right position

4. kesh

kesh New Member

Just a thought, the worktops are 600mm?

I've come across some in non standard sizes.

5. Macca

Macca Guest

yes they definatley are 600mm ive measured between the pegs and and it was 595mm

6. Macca

Macca Guest

Im using a 30mm guide bush and a 12.7mm x60mm straight bit these are the only bits to use according to the instuctions

7. kesh

kesh New Member

Does your jig need a 30mm guide bush on the router & 12.7 Diameter 1/2" cutter? Are you using these?

8. Macca

Macca Guest

Yes thats what i said im using a 30mm guide bush and 12.7mm straight cutting bit but it still leaves the female joint 5mm too short for the male to fit correctly its as though the pegs in the number 2 holes are 5mm out

9. kesh

kesh New Member

Hi macca,

I think you are amazing to answer the question b4 I ask!! are you telepathic?

I suppose somethin went wrong in the timing of the posts.

Sorry, I can't think of anything else - I guess your jig must be faulty - take it up with the supplier.

Good Luck!

10. Macca

Macca Guest

Yeah i must telepathic or somthing. It dosent help me with the jig though, I`ve sent the manufacturer an email explaining the problem but they cant be bothered to reply, ah well i`ll just have to remove the pegs and make the adjustment to compensate for the 5mm. Thanks for replying to my question.

11. bodget&scarpers

bodget&scarpers New Member

check out this months issue of the woodworker mag, bit fauge(sorry 2 much vino) but basics, but alway cut male joint upside down

12. samsung128

samsung128 New Member

Did you definately use the correct size bush with the router?