Worktop Jig

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Julian1, Jan 2, 2006.

1. Julian1

Julian1 New Member

Guys

I need to shape a worktop using a jig but I have never done this before. Can anyone please give me some pointers of what to do and in which order.
    I have used a router before but not on a worktop with a jig.

Many thanks for your help.

2. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

julian, jigs come with instuction books.

IF youve never done it, read it, unless of course you want to buy the worktops twice

its all to do with the direction of cut, one side of each joint is from the top the other from the bottom.

i cant tell which is which cos i do it automatically.

do it a few times and you will be the same

3. Jim

Jim Guest

4. Duke

Duke New Member

Make sure your cutter is at it's best. Laminate will take the edge off the blade very quickly, and a dull edge will easily chip the surface.

Personally I usually do 1 kitchen fit and then change or hone the blade. I have a cutter with replaceable blades though which work out a lot cheaper. £5 on a blade is well worth it considering the price of most kitchen-fits.

5. mailee

mailee New Member

Hi Julian1. You may find this site useful: http://www.raygirling.co.uk/wtjig.htm As for the cutters I use the Freud pro ones at around £12 each, they usually last between two to four joints with me I then discard them to more menial tasks around the workshop and buy new ones. Remember to take light cuts and don't try to hurry the process. It is better to take your time than ruin £50 plus of worktop. Also watch out for B&Q's worktops I have had some problems with them recently like blown postform edges which chip like hell. Hope this helps mate.

6. Julian1

Julian1 New Member

Guys

Thanks a lot for all your help, I feeel more confident to tackle the job now.....cheers

7. Mr Mike

Mr Mike New Member

8. oddsocks

oddsocks New Member

Julian - I recently did my Mother in Laws kitchen (L shaped, one joint and a separate 1m top). I had never done this before.
    I bought the erbauer 1/2" router &worktop clamps from screwfix and a freud pro cutter & 700mm worktop jig (auction site - look for marathonmickey seller£44-50 incl p&P) to fit . It was a focus worktop but I needed to buy the best match joint glue from B&Q (after reading advice on the forum re sealing) - can't remember the name but it was a small tube about £6 and focus dont sell any.

It looks perfect thanks to the jig....some points...
    1. leave the worktop length oversize and cut the joint - if you mess up just move the jig along a bit and try again. Cut the longest pieces first - if you really mess up you can probably still get the shorter pieces out of what's left
    2. Make sure the cutter is sharp - I never realised how quick it would start to blunt (after one male/female joint) - result for me was it snagged, the collet came loose and the bit damaged the top ....see (1)!!!use a diamond hone after every cut.
    3. Don't use a jigsaw to cut the straight end to line - I had a bosch, with new blade but it hit something in the core, bent slightly and caused a wander. Either use a circ saw and then trim with the router /jig or use the jig +router on its own.
    4. remember the pocket holes for the clamps go underneath - simple but I almost got this wrong having cut the other joints face up.
    5. ensure the cutter has stopped before lifting - otherwise you cut the jig...chemical metal solves this.
    5. Fitting - the joint glue sets very quickly so get the
    clamps adjusted to the holes then apply the glue and clamp as fast as possible. I did not use biscuits (forum advice) but would next time - without them I found getting it flush at the front caused a very fine ridge at the back...have a padded clamp for the front and a block of wood /lump hammer for the back - judiscious use with the clamps almost fully tight and the glue setting got the joint surface aligned front to back.

just follow the instructions, measure more than once, before switching on check all locating dowels are touching the top and that you are cutting the correct handed joint. Take it easy and have someone to help with the lifting and fitting if poss.

9. Indiawoo

Indiawoo New Member

i bought a tutorial/promo video by trend from ebay when i started, well worth the money.