Worktop joining advice

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by angoraki, Oct 10, 2005.

1. angoraki

angoraki New Member

Have just been told by the boss that can't wait for a professional to joint the kitchen worktop professionally. Must now use the DIY endcaps Assuming I can get a 90 degree angle correctly - what do I join them with. Wood glue ok, but how do I pull the joints tight, so that there is a not too DIY looking job - Not in a hurry, so will take time to get a good result. Any useful advice welcome, thanks

2. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

u cant polish poo

3. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Well, if you're using 'DIY' " end caps, you might as well use the 90° joining strip too.

Mr. Handyandy - really

4. rossco_99

rossco_99 New Member

If I was you, I would get some work top connectors.

Obviously you have to make a very neat cut.

Drill a hole either side of the join on the underside, normally anout 38mm diameter. Get tenon saw, make two cuts and chop out with chisel.

Biscuit join the worktop together. Glue join. Turn over so underneath is showing. Then do worktop connectors up.

Will pull the joint up very tightly. Just get the cuts very nice!

5. angoraki

angoraki New Member

Many thanks Rosco 99

6. angoraki

angoraki New Member

Thanks for reply - didn't make it plain - I will be using the strips, it was just the connection at the underside I was wondering about as had to put a 2.93 metre piece in so now have to join the 90 pieces in situ

7. Boff

Boff New Member

Just get the worktops in place and screw up through the units - that's about all there is to it. Just accept the fact it's going to look **** with a jointing strip no matter what you do.

8. bonnie the botch

bonnie the botch New Member

these strips are the most unhygenic thing in your house, **** trap literally. the only thing you can do is put a squige of clear silicone in it where the bits join to reduce the size of the trap, wont stop it though, urrgh **** trap ming ming ming !!!!!!!.