Worktop Joint

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Kevee, Aug 12, 2015.

1. Kevee

Kevee Member

Hi All,

I am looking for advice on tightening up my worktop joints, they were cut with a screwfix jig and there is probably 1mm to 2mm gap between the male and female joint with the front butt tight.

I have tried tightening up using the worktop bolts and they seem to be tightening something but not making any difference to the gap. I think they are probably just deforming the bolt holes the more I tighten them. Do I still keep going and will it eventually close the gap or is there some form of colour joint sealant I can use, the worktop is a walnut colour.

Thanks for the advice.

Kevin

2. Hi Kevee.

If the joint was clean and sharp and perfect, then it should have closed up easily.

So I reckon you are right to stop tightening them bolts - before one goes 'ping'.

You need to figure out why the joint won't close. First - is this a new top that you've just cut? Or has it been there for a while and the joint has opened up?

For the former, I can only think of two things (tho' there could be more...); First is that the corner of your walls ain't square - it's at less than 90o. This way, if you cut the joint at exactly 90o, the two w'top pieces cannot move into position 'cos the walls are stopping them. T'other is that the joint edges aren't perfectly straight - could the jig have moved slightly during the cut?

If this is a joint that's opened up, then I guess it's almost certainly down to water having got in and expanded the chipboard underneath. The only 'cure' is to open it up, clean it, seal it and re-bolt.

Or fill the joint with a matching sealant. There are numerous colours available, but it depends on the w'top pattern as to how successful it'll be.

3. Kevee

Kevee Member

Hi Devil's Advocate

Thanks for the reply, this is a new worktop I was fitting. I don't think the walls are perfectly square so I marked the male joint based on the female joint and used the jig to cut it that way instead of just using the template with peg positions. I don't recall the jig moving when cutting, there is a wall to the left so maybe shave a bit more off the worktop where it meets the left wall?

Thanks for the advice.

Kevin

4. Surely just pull both worktops out an inch from each wall, and that'll will show whether it's an issue to do with the walls?

Do you have a perfectly straight edge you can check both cut edges with?

5. Kevee

Kevee Member

I don't think I have that luxury because I have an end wall, back wall and side wall so if I pull worktop out it will still be against two of the walls.

Good thought though.

6. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Raise one far end of the worktop, that will allow you to drag it out a tad.
    It may tell you which wall is out, and therefore which back needs shaving down.
    May need both backs to be shaved down similarly

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

7. Kevee

Kevee Member

Thanks for the advice, I did some more investigation into this last night.

I think there is an element of worktop choice as well as the joints, the gap is fairly consistent all along and when I dragged them out even when pushing them together you can still see a line because it is a light colour worktop. I think the worktop is tight along the side wall so may need to shave a bit off there either the worktop or the wall where the worktop goes.

I had used evostick for the joint as well which maybe did not help because dries a white. I have undone the joint and tried scraping it off. Maybe a coloured sealant will help as well.

Thanks,

Kevin

8. Kevee, there will always be a line visible there, but it should be a hair-line only. The joint should be able to be pulled absolutely tight all along its length.

You said there's a 2mm gap at one end? That's HUGE.

I wonder if the router was at a very slight angle so's it didn't cut exactly perpendicular to the top surface - the chipboard is therefore touching along the bottom of the joint, keeping the top open.

I think I'd be tempted to separate the tops again, set up your guide and clean up the joint surfaces using the router - just take a gnat's crochet off each side.

The try them together and see if anything is holding them apart - check along the bottom edges in particular.

Then check what pro kitchen fitters recommend for sealing the joint.

9. Kevee

Kevee Member

It is a shame that it is seen as huge since I practiced beforehand as well.

Hopefully it can be corrected over the weekend and it just needs a tad off.