Worktop joints

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by John Bunyan, Jun 19, 2020.

1. John Bunyan

John Bunyan Active Member

Hi I've got a recycled kitchen to fit but need ideas about the sink position and worktop joints. It's going to be a U shape and the width at bottom of U is 2130 which leaves 898 between worktops for the sink and sink unit. Personally I try to keep joints away from sink cut outs. I can't see how a butt and scribe joint will work here and I'll also have to set the sink past the corner at the drainer end to make corner posts and doors work. Any suggestions please?

2. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

It will work. Have had 600 down the middle before,

John Bunyan likes this.
  3. John Bunyan

Thanks metro the penny has actually dropped now. If it's a 1000 unit I can put bowl on right with normal corner post and 500 door. With a 300 door and filler to left. A butt and scribe won't work on the left will it?

4. metrokitchens

898 is plenty. You can get lots of 900 sinks and the cut out will only be 875. Rounded corner sinks also help in your scenario.

One worktop right across from side to side with a female mitre either end. Depending on the worktop profile I would be going for a 15mm mitre, or as small as possible. Also nudge the sink back 5mm and make the cut out fairly tight.

The sink bowl would usually be fine going past the corner post though you may have to cut a bit of the post away and re screw into the top rail. Lower the top door hinge also if required.

John Bunyan likes this.
  5. John Bunyan

Great thanks. The customer is re using the sink they got with this second hand kitchen and it's a one and a half bowl measuring 990 x 520. I've never done a 15mm mitre, always used the jig as normal. I guess it's just a case of measuring marks onto the worktop and clamping the router jig and discarding the jig pegs?

6. metrokitchens

Just slip a bit of 15mm board behind the jig pin for each cut. Or what ever size works best. Just make sure it does not foul the cutter.

John Bunyan likes this.