Worktop overhang size woes....advice please???

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by CosRush, Oct 17, 2008.

1. CosRush

CosRush New Member

Im in the process of creating a 'U' shaped kitchen. All the units are in and im now looking at getting the wokrtops on before getting an installer to do the cutting.

However I have noticed a problem.

2 sides of the 'U' are against the walls with the remaining side projecting out from the wall having both a front side and backside.

In order to cover the rear of these units I fitted a matching end panel and back panel.

This has given the exact desired effect I was after (the units are beech but the the fronts are Dark Walnut).

However this has added some extra width to the point that the standard 600mm worktop is now too short to over the drawer fronts.

I have considered that I could maybe buy a splashback/upstand (are these the same thing???) which if fitted at the back would add some extra thickness moving the worktop forward to give a bit better overhang.
    (the other 2 sides have about 1" overhang)

or

I have just ordered another worktop as I want to add a breakfast bar. I believe that these worktops also come in
    wider widths so would it be worth getting say a 900mm one instead and cutting it down.

I like the idea of the splashback/upstand and it would prevent kitchen items sliding of the back of the worktop onto the floor but would mean I'd have to do the other 2 sides as well so they all matched which would be expensive.

Any advice or thoughts please???

:(

2. CosRush

CosRush New Member

3. hallbeck

hallbeck New Member

4. CosRush

CosRush New Member

I already have the main worktops (2x 3m).

Ive just ordered a new one for a breakfast bar hence why I wondered if it would be worth getting a 900mm instead.

Can you answer any of my above questions please???

The worktop is a Screwfix one, Black gloss laminate (Lima).

5. hallbeck

hallbeck New Member

Do you mean that you will have an upstand on the edge of the worktop on the far right of your first drawing?

6. CosRush

CosRush New Member

Yes thats one consideration.

Its that or i'll have to replce the currently ordered 600mm worktop with a wider one.

Other than that I cant see any other solution.

Unless you have any idea's?

7. hallbeck

hallbeck New Member

The prob with that is that the back of the upstand does have lamianate on it so you will have bare chipboard facing the room.

With laminate worktops you only get one shaped edge - unless its a breakfast bar when you get two. The prob with a breakfast bar is that its too wide.

Not sure what you can do unless you opt for granite, corian or solid wood.

8. Can you not get a 665 wide top, which will not require cutting down? These are bullnosed on both edges so look good. Magnet do them, but am not sure on the exact match to the screwfix ones. Maybe get the screwfix ones, and take a piece of laminate to magnet to colour match against their ones. ( or just cancel order from screwfix and buy all from magnet).

9. Another option would be to reduce the depth of the service gap on the back of the units that make up the breakfast bar - provided of course that they are not Ikea units :(

10. CosRush

CosRush New Member

That is another option. :)
    And probably the best option as long as I can confirm the below measurements.

Can somebody please clarify what would be an acceptable overhang?

When a measurment is given in relation to the overhang, is this overhang from the carcass or from the door fronts?

Im aware that the overhang needs to be enough so that any spillages would not run off onto the door front.

11. Joelp1

Joelp1 New Member

typically 30 or 40mm over the carcase, depending on make. Gives about 10 or 20 over the door.

12. Joelp1

Joelp1 New Member

whatever you do, you need a double postformed top on the peninsular. 640 or 665 as mentioned, or 900 if you fancy space to put a stool.

13. CosRush

CosRush New Member

Thats going to work out fine then, as it is, with a trim of 18mm of the extra sections on the back of the carcasses it'll leave a 10mm overhang of the doors.

Excellent :)

With regards to your other reply, The breakfast bar is nothing to do with this setup of the units, it is in fact going on the other side of the room.

Thanks to all who replied.