Worktop Problems

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Kitchen Makeover, Feb 7, 2006.

1. Kitchen Makeover

Kitchen Makeover New Member

Hi,

Just bought a new Unika jig. I've been fitting kitchens for about a year now and have had minimal problems joining worktops, I used to use a Trend jig till' my mate damaged it. I'm using a powerfull Festool router with a new Titman cutter, however the male joints are coming out quite poor and require filing just on the 45 edge! Is it posible the jig may be wrong, female joints are fine!

2. jasonb

jasonb New Member

Not familiar with your jig, but make sure it is designed for 30mm bush & 12.7mm cutter. The festool jigs need a 14mm bit, may be the same with yours.

Jason

3. mj

mj Guest

Is the cutter centred with the guide bush, small discrepencies can affect the joint?
    Make sure the router doesn't tip when jig is overhanging.
    Could be the jig, were you using the festool router with the old jig?
    I'm pretty sure the unika jig uses 12.7mm cutter & 30mm guide bush

4. chipoff

chipoff New Member

when routing using a jig, keep router hard against the waste side of jig, when you have reached the full depth & waste been removed, route 1 more pass with router hard against finished side of jig. Do this to male & female cuts & should marry up OK. Most jigs have a couple of mm play in them, hence last pass must be made hard to finished edge. Does that make sense?