worktop support

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by indgepr, May 3, 2022.

1. indgepr

indgepr New Member

I am planning to use a length of worktop as a desk for the little ones to use for homework craft things. i will support it along the back and the ends. how many supports in the front would be required ? it is a 2.4m span and 3.8 cm thick

thanks

Phil

2. Roys

Roys Active Member

Not sure if it helps but I have a 2m long 38mm thick worktop as a desk, much as you are suggesting it is supported along the back and at the sides, no support at all along the front and not had any problems so far, been using it for 2 years now.

3. Mr right first time

Mr right first time Active Member

I’d say that if your supporting and fixing the worktop sides and back then your more than likely going to be absolutely fine.
    You could always install one or two of these heavy duty brackets for peace of mind in case your kids start climbing on the worktop. https://amzn.to/39AGace

4. Hausfix

Hausfix Well-Known Member

A 2.4m length of worktop will bow slightly if not supported in the middle. I’d suggest a simple post at 1.2m in addition to the rear batten and side supports. Set this post about 150mm back from the front edge for a neater appearance.

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  5. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

If you've got three children I'd put two supports, two or four little ones I'd stick with a central post as suggested.

6. robertpstubbs

robertpstubbs Screwfix Select

How high is the desk and how high is what goes under it eg chairs? If there is space you could include a piece of 4x2 to the underside of the front of the worktop which should stop it bending.

Tilt likes this.
  7. Tilt

Tilt Screwfix Select

@indgepr It depends mostly on how it is being supported along the back / length ????

Ie, a baton on a wall or a full length panel to the floor or just an unsupported baton (Ie freestanding / table style) ?????

If one of the first two then it should be strong enough but if just an unsupported baton then it will still definitely need additional support in the middle, to the floor.

It then depends on how important it is to keep it clear underneath.
    If this is important then the use of heavy duty brackets as Mr Right mentioned could be a good idea.

8. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

The OP has asked how many supports are required along the front so I doubt there is a requirement to keep it clear.

9. Tilt

Tilt Screwfix Select

10. indgepr

indgepr New Member

Thanks for all the input. I will go for a 2x2 screwed to the wall and into the worktop across the back and ends with a single leg in the middle of the front, might make it a complete barrier underneath as the way the two small people are behaving currently they need separation.

11. Offshore

Offshore Active Member

Might be worth considering a bit more support if the kids are of an age where they might be tempted to climb on it?

12. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

Use a pece of 22mm MDF or Ply and create the divider, with an 80-100 wide front strip - looks better. They can then have one half each for their toys &c and it will, as you say provide the support. Have done it several times before and works well.

13. Timbo66

Timbo66 Active Member

Why not use a 400 wide cupboard or drawer unit as a divider?

14. indgepr

indgepr New Member

I had thought of putting in a small unit but they are too tall. I want the top to be at about 750mm ie normal table height. putting a unit under will raise it to 900. removing the legs will get some back but not all and then problems of not very flat floor and the bottom draw or cuboard will be scraping on the floor.