World Cup

Discussion in 'Sport Talk' started by Sparkielev, Jun 24, 2018.

1. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Well-Known Member

As far as im aware football on once a week with limited highlights, i can see your not a football fan but this world cup has been class watching countries come together peacefuly is a breath of fresh air and for once England are doing well and the country is happy

Jord86 and Pollowick like this.
  2. fillyboy

fillyboy Well-Known Member

I'm not a footy fan at all, can't stand the game or the hype surrounding it, but I've thoroughly enjoyed this tournament.
    The good behaviour of fans from all over the world, the shocking behaviour of the players from south American countries, Germany being knocked out, Gareth Southgate's waistcoat, winning a penalty shoot-out, Germany being knocked out.
    What's not to like?
    It would be a fantastic lift for the country if we were to win, but regardless, if we get knocked out in the next round, Gareth and the team will return with their heads held high to a rapturous reception, they've done well.

3. Pollowick

Pollowick Well-Known Member

You nearly forgot to say "Germany being knocked out" - it has to be one of the favourite moments. Especially as their anthem in now "Deutschland unter alles ..."

And to be honest it will probably be a boost for all of the UK - not just England whatever happens from now on.

fillyboy likes this.
  4. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

Sadly, there been a few idiot supporters around the UK, in London,one fast response ambulance off the road, with a smashed windscreen and dented bonnet.

Name & shame her, what does it acheive!:(:mad:

[​IMG]

https://news.sky.com/story/london-a...elebrate-world-cup-quarter-final-win-11429810

5. Pollowick

She was one, and here are a couple of others:

upload_2018-7-8_18-54-53.jpeg

The police should not find it too hard to identify the three. Arrest them and charge them with criminal damage ... there can be no doubt with te pictures and just see how quickly they offer to pay for repairs!

KIAB likes this.
  6. Allsorts

Allsorts Active Member

I would love to see the resulting fines actually include the full repair costs; that should make their eyes water.

But let's not focus on a few simpletons. This world cup has been incredible, and I cannot, simply cannot, remember the last time I was able to watch England play without being stressed out. In fact it has been enjoyable. A pleasure. A delight.

Southgate has made the country proud. His men have behaved (largely) with dignity. My only disappointment is that Russia didn't win last night; I really wanted to see England thrash them next round.

KIAB likes this.
  7. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

Hopefully the power of social media will find them.:)

A real shame Russia didn't win,I've actually been enjoying the football, which hasn't happened for a long time.

Allsorts likes this.
  8. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Well-Known Member

The thought of winning the world cup sends shivers down my spine, nobody likes us which makes it sweeter, as much as i think Russia bought this world cup and should of gone to us i must admit they have done a cracking job of it

fillyboy likes this.
  9. Pollowick

Too right and not forgetting the costs of hiring/renting other vehicles whilst it was off the road.

Southgate is a real manager - he is managing the team, not his own ego, bank balance, media appearances &c which is what the last few have been more concerned with. Who was the last England manager with the same sort of attitude?

DIY womble and KIAB like this.
  10. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

11. HarDeBloodyHarHar

HarDeBloodyHarHar Active Member

There is NO free-to-air TV!

12. goldenboy

goldenboy Well-Known Member

Not strictly true. Catch-up tv without using BBC i-player is entirely free. No TV license required and no subscription.

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/faqs/FAQ8

13. HarDeBloodyHarHar

HarDeBloodyHarHar Active Member

That's better ;)

14. Pollowick

Why, where do you live?

Free to air TV is defined as that available to anyone in the UK that does not require an additional subscription. BBC, ITV, Ch4, Ch5 and all the Freeview and Freesat services are free to air.

15. goldenboy

goldenboy Well-Known Member

I wouldnt class BBC as free to air. I personally think though that the TV license is very good value. Whilst there are definite "leans" in some coverage towards certain views, generally it is the most reliable and trustworthy source of news. Essential in todays fake news atmosphere.

16. Pollowick

According to OFCOM stations such as BBC and ITV are Free-to-Air as there is no ongoing subscription that is payable to receive the service. The TV licence is a permit to operate receiving equipment that is capable of receiving TV signals be that terrestrial or satellite, free-to-air or subscription.

17. Pollowick

Gareth has gone shopping !

[​IMG]

KIAB likes this.
  18. Pollowick

Millwall supporters are footing the bill ! https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/millwallsupportersclub?utm_id=92&utm_term=ZrbkJJxjv

Yes, Millwal! I stilll hope they perpetrators are punished and have large compensation payments to make.

p.s. Slightly off track but still relevant at the present time. I wonder how many "upskirt" photographs were taken during her act? And as she has no respect for the law, then in case like that the law should not support her ...

KIAB likes this.
  19. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

20. Isitreally

Isitreally Well-Known Member

Yes it was, they talked to the Millwall supporters club representative about it, he said "if the insurance pays out for the damage, any money raised will be given to the NHS for all their good work"

I was shocked to hear it was Millwall supporters who set this up a far cry from a few years back.

So top marks to them and a long lonely spell in a nice cold cell followed by an attachment of earning until damage costs covered to the diickhheads who did it.

KIAB likes this.