Worn out hinges.

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by tore81, Mar 14, 2017.

1. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Have a couple of hinges to change on some fire doors.

Having trouble matching up exhausting, I'm not even sure the ones on doors at the minute are fire rated.

Does having a bigger knuckle on the hinge change the margins or gap into exsisting frame?

2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

You may need to chop it in more but it's suck it and see time.

tore81 likes this.
  3. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

As Chippie says Tore. Fire door really should have bearing hinges...that's what I use on them anyway. Chop them in and go from there. May need to get the plane out...may not!

tore81 likes this.
  4. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Chopping in hinges is fine but didn't really want to mess about with planing etc.

Won't chopping in hinges more cause door to bind or are the ballbearing knuckles less likely. If that makes sense

5. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

You'll have to find out. The door was 'adjusted' to work with the original hinges...new hinges may mean the door needs tweaking.

tore81 likes this.
  6. GoodwithWood

GoodwithWood Active Member

Very often the case.

I don't know if it's just me but a lot of cheap hinges have varying gaps between the leaves. Used to drive me crazy. You'd open the pack, use one as a template, chop/router the rebates, fit the hinges then find you don't get an even gap when fitted.

These days I say I'll supply the hinges. Most of the time I buy Zoo. Good prices and great quality. Total consistency.

tore81 and CGN like this.