Worst bodge DIY JOB?

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by 24 hr locksmith, Jan 8, 2006.

1. diyhopeful

diyhopeful Active Member

" builders" in my street have built a 3m x 4m flat roof over a new extension.

The roof was flat with no run off so when the man from the council rejected it they procedeed to build up the slope with bitumen. Must be at least 6" thick one end.

Must weigh a fair bit too......

2. FOREST DECORATORS

FOREST DECORATORS New Member

one of my customers had bought his house off of a diy expert NOT
    anyway when i was removing the wall paper i exposed what looked like mud in the walls used for filler and beyond that burnt out cables that were still live
    how i never got a shot is anyones guess

3. Diablo

Diablo New Member

In my kitchen I decided to lay a tiled floor and proceeded to remove the old lino and I thought one layer of lino tiles underneath. All in all there were seven layers and i had to use a shovel to get down to the concrete floor!!!!

4. JonKnowsNowt

JonKnowsNowt New Member

We moved into our ground floor apartment last May and noticed a funny smell in the bathroom after about 2 months. Lots of arguing later with the developers (it was a redeveloped nursing home) a plumber came round and we removed our corner bath. The original pllumber on the job hadnt measured up properly for the waste pipes and had fixed the toilet waste to the wall.....but not inline with the downpipe. Upshot was that all waster freefell about 6 inches from one pipe to another - and they werent even in line. Needless to say there was a little bit of build up erm....stuff...on the ledge the offline pipe had created - NICE!!!

It's all sorted now but I'm scared as to what might be under our flat as thats cant be the only b@lls up they made - surely?

5. VF

VF New Member

"Almost" worst bodge DIY job. Recent customer was convinced it was okay to undercoat over newly plastered rooms before they'd dried, I gently convinced him otherwise...

6. sgt.

sgt. New Member

1. Fibre glass holding the storage heaters on the wall.
    2. Tiles falling off the wall in the shower because they had been attached to a sheet of cardboard
    3. Army green skirting boards (flaking) and carpet
    4. Hammerite on the walls

and thats just what we have replaced so fay

7. nigel

nigel Guest

Shower room wall and cubicle made of tile effect hardboard, recessed three mirror door cup'ds on wall but they were so deep they stuck out into the adjacent bed room which was then boxed in, but just around the three cup'ds.

8. Scottyboy

Scottyboy Guest

Lifted the hall floorboards in my last house and felt something wasn't right.

Then realised that the 6" block wall between living room and bathroom was built on floorboards! Not even over a joist.

Queue the sledgehammer.

Also all roof cavities harboarded over and full of vermiculite(sp?) now that was fun to shift.

Found £220 in the living room ceiling though!

9. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

I've got a blockwork wall on a timber floor. It's been there for 30 years so I figure it's probably not going to fall down now!

How about fitting an extractor fan in the bathroom ceiling? Good idea you might think - would be even better if the other side actually had some ducting attached to it!

10. sgt.

sgt. New Member

Just found another one - toothpaste used as filler !

11. sarky spark

sarky spark New Member

Toothpaste filler,saw that in jail cells during prison refurbs. Prisoners own illicit connections for their radios.