Worth becoming an electrician?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Fishleg, Aug 5, 2020.

1. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

I agree with MGW, it seems that the basics of our training and education as electricians have been sacrificed to the Gods of H&S on the alters of Part P, various Cards and membership of schemes. Let's get back to what we should be teaching the apprentices and make sure that they have a grasp of the basics before they progress. The H&S issues should be a separate course, the same for all on site and certificated separately.

2. dinkydo

dinkydo Screwfix Select

Hey Timmy, would I need a full 5 days ? I’m busy at the moment since I did the gas installers course, I bought the Gas installers for Idiots book it was a doddle :)

3. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

I did one of those site induction safety tick the box things, it said you have a grinder with a damaged lead should you.
    1) Repair the cable.
    2) get a mate to fix it.
    3) return to stores for repair
    I ticked one and was told I had got it wrong, why is that then I said, they said return it to stores was correct, I said not until repaired and PAT tested and moved from repair register to insevice register, you do realise I am the electrician and it is my job to repair, if not repairing it then needs to be in quarinteen not stores.

Oh was the reply. Seems there was a special test for electricians.

I think we all tend to short cut the system, but we should know the correct method even if not used, we know our workshop has to be kept locked as it is part or the quarinteen area, if we don't lock it, and some one borrows some thing that has been brought for repair we are in trouble. But often we don't follow rules to the letter.

However some one watches what we have done, and copies us, but there is something slightly different. So with the apprentice we say, this is how it should be done, but in this case there is a short cut, but we don't say that to a casual observer.

Last time I worked with mineral insulated cable it was a flame detector on a central heating boiler, and some one thought I was working on a gas pipe.

Well not even a proper boiler, it did not boil the water, so how is it called a boiler? Now where I work now we have proper boilers, little old 1908 I think, but it still powers a train on 8 mile of railway line, and a fireman actually lights fires and keeps them going, how can you call some one who puts them out a fireman?

4. Fishleg

Fishleg Member

Yeah I have thought fitness wise how long could I last but can't be worse than manually lifting photocopiers or kneeling all day to fix them ><. I wish I did the apprenticeship when I was younger but there was non or they weren't very common. So definitely go do the CG 2365 then try and get a job working with someone seems to be the way? Funny reading everyone's stories but the consensus seems to be cowboys are ruining it for you all.

Me as a home owner I am very careful who I get to do things but you do meet people who don't really ask questions they just pay what they are told. I do kinda see the other half of the coin like I guess some people start like that with a 5 day course struggle and try hard then eventually become amazing. Dangerous way to do it but if you where real careful it's possible and only did what they knew or took time to research. I guess the people you guys are seeing are the ones that just pretend, don't care, bodge everything and leave a path of destruction for someone else.

Gov needs to educate people and have an easy system to say who is actually qualified to do the work. I'll be honest part p to me up to about a year ago i didn't even know existed. I've only seen one guy actually do it properly and that was a plumber who replaced the boiler and I got a letter from local council saying it was fitted and they have been informed.

I think we are heading to the age that you need 5 yearly checks on your electrics though for your house insurance to be valid. Might even end up being yearly by someone qualified so then people will know who's qualified by who is acceptable to their insurance.

5. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

@Fishleg I am time served. I worked in a factory environment for over 35 years and because Part P does not apply could install anything. Submains, machines, lights, sockets, inside work, outside work, single phase, 3 phase, it didn't matter. One position I held I was the Qualified Supervisor for their NICEIC membership. However because I am not a member of an approved scheme the work I can do at home is limited.

If you repair photocopiers etc are you part of a factory environment? If so it may be possible for you to work with the sparkies there to help gain some experience.

6. Bobby111

Bobby111 New Member

I think being an electrician can offer a good occupation with good wages, it is a high level of job responsibility as well but licensed electricians can take on most electrical projects and may will to work for a company or to be self-employed and maybe even charge more money in this case

DavidMey likes this.
  7. G D M

G D M New Member

Hi Fishleg I was wondering how you got on with this? How did you get on ? Did you manage to get trained up? which path did you choose? I am thinking of taking a career change too? My only concern is the amount it costs to take a course and if it is worth it in the long run. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks G D M