Would you return these posts?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Matt J, May 3, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Matt J

Matt J Member

Took delivery of these posts from Alsford Timber. They are 150x150mm x 3m posts for a pergola.

I noticed today that 3 of them are free centre posts and are pretty split. Is this just an aesthetic issue or would you want them returned if it was you?

I’ve never really worked with timber before so I don’t know what’s acceptable and what’s taking the *

I’ve attached a picture here (I think).

Matt

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2020
  2. ginger tuffs

ginger tuffs Screwfix Select

its normal for timber to have splits and shakes

rogerk101, Matt J and Astramax like this.
  3. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Beat me to it. :)

4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Google timber shakes, it will help your concerns. ;)

Matt J likes this.
  5. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

Looks more rustic

Matt J likes this.
  6. Matt J

Matt J Member

Thanks both! I just had a google on Timber Shakes. I see what you mean. So this is perfectly normal and shouldn’t cause any concerns I’m guessing based on what you’ve said?

ginger tuffs and Astramax like this.
  7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

You will be fine, I'm sure Alsford's will address any concerns you have if you give them a call.:)

Matt J likes this.
  8. Matt J

Matt J Member

Thanks @Astramax, Michael appreciated. I can sleep a little easier tonight now!

9. Abrickie

Abrickie Screwfix Select

And as soon as they get of the phone they’ll wet themselves laughing, you cruel sod :D:D;)

Matt J likes this.
  10. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

Even if you were to find 150 x 150 softwood timber posts that were not split today, they'll all be even more split by the end of the summer.
    The only reason they wouldn't be split now is because they were not yet fully seasoned, so by the end of the summer they would have lost a whole lot more humidity resulting in a whole lot more splitting.

Matt J likes this.
  11. Matt J

Matt J Member

Very good point @rogerk101 , makes total sense!