wrap around extension - moving manhole / water drains / soil pipe

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by janzbro, Aug 21, 2020.

1. janzbro

janzbro New Member

We are considering getting a wrap around extension to rear and side of semi detached property but new to all this and looking for advice.

There are various houses in our street with conservatories and extensions to rear, so assume its not impossible. to the rear left we have a water drain for roof run off, in middle a soil pipe, about 2 meters from the soil is the manhole/inspection chamber, to the right another drain for roof run off and grey water sources (bath/sinks/washer).

Will we have to get all the underground drain work and manhole cover moved outside the foot print of the extension or are there other options?

2. Abrickie

Abrickie Screwfix Select

Yes. No

3. Frutbunn

Frutbunn Active Member

Does anyone elses property share these drains?

4. janzbro

janzbro New Member

drains run along to rear of everyone properties in street on our side, so assume they all link together, so could be classed as shared.

5. Frutbunn

Frutbunn Active Member

In that case it'll be classed as a public sewer and you may need a build over agreement with the water co. Any inspection chamber serving a shared drain will need moving externally, but they may allow you to build over the sewer. You are actually allowed to build over a private inspection chamber(ie serving only your property) providing you fit a sealed screw down cover.
    Ignore the other reply its simply not that clear cut, each individual situation needs to be assessed.

6. janzbro

janzbro New Member

every house has an inspection chamber to the rear of the property opposite their respective soil pipe, where the soil waste runs into the drain from that house and then along to next house where their soil waste joins and then on to the next.

7. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

Different WAs have different guidelines and some are less helpful than others so I suggest you look into this aspect before you spend any money on drawings or planning.

Pop a sketch up then we can have our 3 halfpence worth.

8. Frutbunn

Frutbunn Active Member

Not always, sometimes the line of drainage continues in the same direction past the IC to a sewer connection. B regs allows this, though its a simple matter to lift covers.

9. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

We built over a drain and had to bridge it. They inspected the hole, the walls of the bridge then the final base and no problems. There were no manholes however.

10. Frutbunn

Frutbunn Active Member

There is no problem building over a private drain or inspection chamber, however in this instance this may be a public sewer in which case the water co will need to be contacted.

11. Nev Hope

Nev Hope Active Member

If you’re spending the money on an extension why save a couple of pounds and a have a feature manhole inside ?
    The local water authority needs to be contacted if you’re building within 3m and Building Regs say no to building over a manhole serving more than one property :rolleyes:

12. Bazza-spark

It was a public sewer.

13. Frutbunn

Frutbunn Active Member

In which case it was not a drain but a public sewer. There are instances where you are not allowed to build over.

14. Frutbunn

Frutbunn Active Member

Building control are obliged by the Building Act to consult with the water Co in such instances and will do this automatically on submission of the app.

15. Bazza-spark

I am not sure what you are picking at. The OP asked if it was possible and I have given an example. I have not said it is always acceptable, but what was in our case.

16. Nev Hope

Nev Hope Active Member

And this is relevant to my post, how ?

17. Frutbunn

Frutbunn Active Member

The point I am making is that a private drain is covered by B regs only, and there is nothing to prevent you building over a drain or inspection chamber providing adequate precautions are taken. a public sewer require a statutory consultation with the water Co, whilst in most situations this will be allowed there are circumstances where they will refuse this, unlike a private drain dealt with solely under B Regs.

18. Bazza-spark

Like I told you, it wasnt a private drain, it was a public sewer for about 15 houses. The plans were submitted to the council and they had no problem granting permission.

My post was to help the OP by stating what I was allowed to do some years ago, so I suggest you quieten down with your attitude.

19. Frutbunn

Frutbunn Active Member

And my point is that just because the one job you did was allowed there is no gaurantee this particular one will be allowed, for example if the sewer is over 300mm dia, at an excessive deoth etc, They can and do refuse permission under certain circumstances, for information I'm a BCO who has been carrying out these consultations with the water Co's for 38 years and on many occasions have been instructed to reject applications to build over the public sewer and the extension was never built. Its more helpful to point out that there are potentially pitfalls rather than paint a rosy picture if there's the possibility of disappointment, thats not attitude thats just a simple fact.

gadget man likes this.
  20. Bazza-spark

That explains it all. Holier than thou BCO!

I was trying to help, but won't bother again with bumwipes like you to contend with.

DevilDamo likes this.