Wren, Howdens, or Wickes Kitchens?

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by Robot Enthusiast, Oct 17, 2021.

1. woodbutcherbower

woodbutcherbower Screwfix Select

As above. You're only going to do this once, so do it exactly how you'd like it. Best wishes.

CGN likes this.
  2. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

Not if his wife is like mine!!

3. woodbutcherbower

So there you have it, Mr. Robot Enthusiast. Your new kitchen will be just what stevie22’s wife has chosen for you :)

4. Dawn Feerick

Dawn Feerick New Member

I wouldn't use any of those 3.
    I've worked for all big retailers, big trade depots and high end I dependants. Now my own Advanced Ftted Kitchens

Howdens. pushy to get the delivery out same day, ACC holders get kickback not customers. Expensive and rarely delivered 1st time.

Wren. Retail and using their market position to dictate and inflate prices quoted me 12k for my own without tops and using my own pricing it was 8k and they are an absolute nightmare in getting it delivered without damage errors and missing parts.

Wickes flat pack is 15mm Gower and don't seem to want to help anyone.

SELCO are probably one of the best companies because the staff care. They sell to anyone on temp acc. but are trade predominantly. Nothings to much trouble.
    They do hafele doors if it's only and upgrade.
    Their 16mm flat pack is actually Gower, which belongs to NOBIA ...like magnet ,
    They do one box one cabinet. Which means you pick a box up which contains even the door.
    Everything is in stock to take away or delivered FREE next day.

Or myself of course if your in the Liverpool Manchester northwest area.

Any flat pack is the same as a factory built cabinet. One man building it. Difference is you know what efforts gone into building it yourself not leaving it to a guy who's on early finish Friday afternoon who can't wait go the match!!

5. woodbutcherbower

See my post on the ‘is this kitchen a good price’ thread. I posted that before reading your advertisement above. It all makes total sense now. If you want to advertise, pay for it like everyone else has to. Don’t come onto a public forum proclaiming yourself as the world’s foremost expert. Oh - and learn the #1 rule of marketing - don’t diss off your competitors. It comes across as grossly unprofessional and a bit desperate.

Which is entirely to be expected of someone who’s worked for ‘ALL the big retailers, trade depots and high-end independents’ = dozens of them.

Why can’t you hold down a job, Dawn?

Last edited: Oct 25, 2021
  6. Adamfya

Adamfya Screwfix Select

Certainly blowing smoke up selcos anal passage

7. woodbutcherbower

Now my own Advanced Ftted Kitchens
    What a shame you can't spell 'Fitted'.

Howdens. pushy to get the delivery out same day, ACC holders get kickback not customers.
    Howdens are a trade-only supplier. If a builder or joiner wishes to add a margin to his cost price to cover multiple customer survey and design visits, numerous changes of mind, collecting the kit from the depot, plus the hundred other things needed to provide quality customer service - that's his call. He's also the one who the customer will immediately phone if something goes wrong. For a trade supplier - he is the customer. It's not a kickback, it's called running a business - just like Tesco, who dare to make profit on the groceries they sell. And you missed the capital 'P' on 'Pushy'.

Expensive and rarely delivered 1st time.
    Absolute, utter lies.

Wren. Retail and using their market position to dictate and inflate prices quoted me 12k for my own without tops and using my own pricing it was 8k and they are an absolute nightmare in getting it delivered without damage errors and missing parts.
    No supplier dictates prices, the market and the customers do. Why are you getting a quote from Wren if you run your own outfit? Where does 'your pricing' come from exactly? I've never had the slightest issue with any Wren delivery.

Or myself of course if your in the Liverpool Manchester northwest area.
    Or yourself of course. Objective, customer-focused and totally unbiased.
    It's 'you're', and 'North-West'.

Any flat pack is the same as a factory built cabinet.
    Nonsense. Factory cabinets are jigged to square on a rotating press, then dowelled and glued together.

One man building it. Difference is you know what efforts gone into building it yourself not leaving it to a guy who's on early finish Friday afternoon who can't wait go the match!!
    What - you mean that the six machine screws and six cams on the average cabinet actually require a colossal degree of skill from the person assembling it? And it's 'effort's'. And thanks for insulting every trade professional in the UK.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2021
  8. dtexh

dtexh Member

I fit a B&Q kitchen despite everyone rubbishing them for some reason.

Carcasses were just as good as anywhere else. All the holes matched up, sturdy. They are all made of melamine faced chipboard whoever you use. B&Q Stevia doors were excellent too, thick gloss plastic coating on MDF. Still looks new two years later.

I think the whole kitchen cost under £2k excluding appliances.

9. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

Clearly @woodbutcherbower Dawn has never fitted anything in her life. You can just put peeps on ignore, but that is a very hard thing to do when you know 100% they are talking complete rubbish and have probably never even held a screwdriver let alone fitted a kitchen.

10. Tilt

Tilt Screwfix Select

There can be quite a difference in the quality of the chipboard and the thickness of the melamine used in carcass manufacture and plain MFC boards.
    On some cabinets you can almost see through the melamine, it can give it a greyish / slightly dirty look.

I used to manufacture worktops and some of the chipboard used in the cheaper ones can be very soft. Genuinely, on some chipboard you can pretty much crumble it in your hand, it is that light and dry (not enough glue used in the manufacture process).

Robot Enthusiast likes this.
  11. Dawn Feerick

Dawn Feerick New Member

"Why can’t you hold down a job, Dawn?"

Wood butcher, I'd avoid anything you do with that name.
    Typos are typos

Hold a job down???...oh my word you really are an arrogant ,ignorant bombastic buffoon aren't you with you little nvq in whittling...

You really have no idea on the sales sector do You.?

Missed placed self righteousness or just an employee of one of these firms, either way insignificant.

Job wise ,non of your business but seeing as you asked nicely head hunted and chased the money...because yes I was that good...
    Haven't worked for B&Q or Wickes because the product gets wrecked just putting it together...FACT! Read reviews!!!! Or maybe, just maybe it's so called 'fitters' use a drill on the cams and rip 'em out the carcase..

Own business was set up because of ******** tradies and ******** designers who are all greedy with a sell and forget mentality, selfish attitude and very little skill at times. In my 40odd years of dealing with both, dead right I'm in a position to voice an unbiased opinion based on experience.

If you can't take criticism then don't leave yourself wide open.

How tall are you...small man syndrome? or is it cos a woman come 9n here ,a man's world ,god forbid...or is it just your home life's ***** or are you a wife beater and get away with talking down and belittling the women in your life.

What's YOUR degree in...pffffff! As if

12. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

Howdens draw on components from the likes of Blum, Hafele, and Kessebohmer. The quality seems ok to me.

Robot Enthusiast likes this.
  13. Robot Enthusiast

Robot Enthusiast Active Member

Howdens are also supposed to be quite quick at getting parts if any are damaged or missing. I've heard good things about them.

14. candoabitofmoststuff

candoabitofmoststuff Screwfix Select

I used them for my Kitchen a few years ago, (2015). I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.

Pros;
    Prices are good.
    Quality is good.
    Units are ready assembled, and are glued, not just put together with removable fittings.
    Good service void at back.
    Backs are solid, 8mm thick.
    After sales service good for an issue I had.

Cons;
    Only one showroom, (in Pontefract, Yorkshire)
    Have to order online, and website is, (or at least was), rather clunky!
    Lead time can be long, (along with many others!)

I took the opportunity to visit the showroom while on a trip in that neck of the woods. They do have assistants there, who are genuinely helpful... but they are not sales folk, and not pushy. Even if you are in the showroom you have to order online. There are PCs in the store you can do this on, and they will help.

Good luck,
    Cando

15. Robot Enthusiast

Robot Enthusiast Active Member

Thanks Cando. I would like to go there just to make sure I order it correctly. Sounds refreshing to know that they are not pushy!

16. James Fleming

James Fleming New Member

Can't agree with you about Wren, I'm afraid. I'm a customer, not a fitter. We've had 6 months of misery from them. Every order messed up. Chopped, flaking and peeling units and replacements often in worse condition than what they were replacing. Integrated fridge freezer doesn't match doors requiring fridge and freezer to be open at the same time and according to Wren that's our fault for asking for real cabinets, not their designer's fire not telling us there would be issues with our request.
    They've lied consistently about various issues and we're now heading to court and a section 75 order to get our money back.
    Have a look at "Wren Kitchen Disasters" on Facebook to see how many folk have the same issues. Not to mention de-laminating a few years down the line, apparently.
    I'd warn people off Wren completely.

Deleted member 246321 likes this.
  17. Adam Routley

Adam Routley Active Member

We'll be going DIY Kitchens.

18. David687

David687 New Member

19. Truckcab79

Truckcab79 Screwfix Select

Course you did, and you joined the forum a couple of days back just to tell us. Good luck with your business. For what it’s worth most positive feedback recently is with DIY Kitchens. Maybe see how you compare to them. :D

Robot Enthusiast and CGN like this.
  20. john canessa

john canessa New Member

I hope his service is better than DIY Kitchens. I've just had one and what with the delivery errors and the shoddy customer service it's a pretty stressful experience that I wouldn't recommend