Wren Nesting Box

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by dunc, Dec 9, 2004.

1. dunc

dunc New Member

Anyone know about sizing and hole opening for a wren nesting box?

2. dewaltdisney

dewaltdisney New Member

Hi Dunc,

The wren is a very small bird and I would say that the hole would be around 25mm. It would be worth contacting the RSPB and having a word with them as they are very helpful. Here is a link to 'Nestboxes' on their site http://www.rspb.org.uk/gardens/whatyoucando/nestboxsmallbird/make_anestbox.asp

Mrs D has about seven feeders around the garden and we get through 25kg of premium seed every three weeks. It is lovely to sit and watch all the different birds feed and we now have nice gang of sparrows (about 35) who have been in decline in recent years. It is very hard to attract the birds that you want, especially to a nest box. Feeding does attract birds but it is important to remember that some are ground feeders so you have to cater for both. I am sure you know all this already.

Hope this helps,

DWD

3. dunc

dunc New Member

Thanks for your interest and help.

4. anglebox

anglebox New Member

Hi DWD
    Seems like Mrs.DWD gets through as much bird feed as Mrs.Anglebox! Have a look at http://www.foodforbirds.co.uk They sell a really good range of products with free next day delivery for not very large orders. This should be easily achievable at the rate of use Mrs.DWD is feeding her feathered friends.

5. Chippy John

Chippy John New Member

You need an open fronted box for Wrens, similar to a box suitable for a Robin. A more likely place for a Wren to nest though would be in a dense hedge if you have one.

Placing of nest boxes is quite important, they are far more likely to be occupied if the entrance faces somewhere between East and North and not positioned in sun.

6. dunc

dunc New Member

This is top stuff lads!

I have checked the RSPB site for data, and they have box plans. I have seen wrens in my area of North London. I think they should get through a smaller hole than a ***.

I think I'll build a range of boxes with various openings, and see what goes in there. I'll use sawn timber and avoid nasty preservatives.

Thanks for all your help and interest.

7. diyhopeful

diyhopeful Active Member

DWD,

where do you live ? I'm in Ilford and haven't seen a sparrow for months.

Seen loads of Magpies though. Me thinks an air rifle might even the score.......

8. dewaltdisney

dewaltdisney New Member

Hi DIY,

I live in Essex the nearest big town is Chelmsford. Around where I live the wildlife has suffered because the farmers have grubbed out the hedgerows to make bigger fields for cereal and oil seed rape production.

We noticed a few years ago that there seemed to be less and less birds around so we made the conscious decision to help feed through the winter. Several years on we are pleased to see that our little regular population of small finches and **** has expanded. We had no sparrows a few years back and now this has grown into the gang of sparrows we have now. They seem to live around our blackberry hedge along with the Robin who soon lets us know when the food has run out. We also have around 14 ring neck doves, and a green woodpecker pops in. We feed all year around now.

But my greatest enjoyment is the pair of swallows that return every year to their nest we leave up in our stables. They have two broods a year so we see at least 8 new birds a year, I hope they survive. We love sitting out on a summer evening watching their graceful flying.

We also have a pair of Magpies but I have to say they are not the bad guys that they are made out to be. In fact they are bullied by the blackbirds and sparrows. This pair are friendly with our horse as they sit on her back and dive down and get worms she disturbs. They like the leftover toast that we throw out the best.

This simple pleasure in enjoying the wildlife around us should be shared by more people and I would encourage everyone to put out feed. It does not matter where you are the birds will find it and become a regular visitor.

DWD

PS - Anglebox, thanks for the link to the feed suppliers. I buy premium feed at £8 for 25kg at Marriages in Chelmsford. Bit far for you to go?

9. bodget&scarpers

bodget&scarpers New Member

dwd,thats not the farmers,thats the diddcoy,but as u say ornofology is lovely 2 watch,only 2 night as the sun was going down, i spotted some lovely ****,and they were so close,i dident even need the feild glasses,the wildlife in weatherspoons is abuntant :)

10. dewaltdisney

dewaltdisney New Member

11. bodget&scarpers

bodget&scarpers New Member

yer thought supersparky ad left us 4 ever ;)