Wrong file system

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Paul Blackburn, Feb 2, 2020.

1. I have just got a new 19" TV for the bedroom and last night I inserted a 16gb memory stick into the USB port to watch some old TV programms on it but get the message Video Not Support.When I checked the user manual for the TV it says The File System only supports FAT16/32,NTFS format and when I checked the memory stick it was formatted to FAT32.Can someone tell me what the problem is and what I need to do.The TV IS A lOGIK L20HE15 which is not a top of the range TV but I thought good enough for the spare bedroom.

2. Creek

Creek Member

Plug usb into a computer. Goto "my computer", right mouse click on the icon for your memory stick and select format. Select NTFS as file system. You will loose everything on memory stick so back up first

3. Thanks Creek if I change the Format to NTFS from FAT32 will I at a later stage if I want to be able to change it back to FAT32 by doing the opposite transaction .

4. Forgot to ask after the stick has been re-formatted will I lose the videos on there if so there would be no point in re-formatting it if I lose what I want to watch.What if saved the videos onto another memory stick and then copy and paste them back onto the original stick after it has been re-formatted would that work.

5. Creek

Creek Member

Yes, you can change it back anytime.
    Backup your films first onto your computer as the memory stick will loose all data once formatted.
    After formatting, just add your films back on

6. I have got two spare memory sticks one is 8gb and the other 16gb I was thinking of copying and pasting the videos onto one of those sticks then reformatting the first stick to NTFS and then copying and pasting the videos back onto the original stick.Would that be ok.

7. Creek

Creek Member

Yes, that would work fine.

8. One more question the memory sticks are formatted to FAT32 and in the Logic TV manual it says the file system only supports FAT16/32 or NTFS format so why does my memory stick not play.

9. I have just spoken to Curry's Technical dept and they checked it out and it will only play MPEG1 or MPEG2 files so how do I format to those files yet the manual does not say that.

10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Correct, just found that,a quick google finds it's a common problem.

You need to convert to MPEG 1 or 2.
    Amazed tv still uses a old MPEG 1/2 format.

https://videoconverter.wondershare.com/convert-mp4/mp4-to-mpeg-mpeg1-mpeg2.html

11. Hi KIAB Have just looked at the link you sent and it only mentions converting to MPEG from MP4 will it convert from FAT32.

12. Absconditus3232

Absconditus3232 New Member

Fat32 and ntfs are file systems. MP4 and MPG or MPEG are video/audio containers.
    Same as AVI. What really matters is what video and audio codec has been used to encode the files. You can in some just rename an mp4 to mpg and if the codecs are the same then they will play.
    The best tool to use is a command line program called ffmpeg. This is the back end to a lot of gui encoding programs. If you need a gui based one then one of the best imho is handbrake.