Wrong fuse fitted to Erbaurer LED worklight

Discussion in 'Screwfix' started by MozzyMarr, Dec 22, 2021.

1. MozzyMarr

MozzyMarr Member

Just a little rant, the other day I accidentally stood on the plug of my LED work light snapping of the brittle plastic earth pin. I am just about to change the plug and noticed the fuse on the original plug was 13 amps!

This is a 20w LED light and thus should be fitted with a 3 amp fuse. Not sure what gauge the cable as the insulation is nice and thick but I am guessing it is 0.75mm at the most so there is no way this cable could carry 13 amps if a fault was to occur in the cable itself.

If Kingfisher are missing the fact these items have the wrong fuse in them what other safety checks are not done?

Forgive me if I have some how got this wrong and the fuse is indeed correct, but I shall be fitting a 3 amp fuse in the new plug.

2. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

You may find the inrush of a 20w led blows a 3A fuse. Assuming the cable can carry 13A then it’s fine

3. MozzyMarr

MozzyMarr Member

I didn't think of that. So far it seems to be working fine on the 3 amp but will see :) Might change it to a 5 amp if it blows and go from there, I think I even have a couple of 10 amps too.

The cable doesn't say what the current rating is, but have certainly seen smaller cables. There is probably more copper than a typical lamp cable. Do you think they might have fitted a thicker cable and then fitted a higher capacity fuse to get round the problem of inrush?