X-(

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by jcts, Jul 5, 2007.

1. jcts

jcts Active Member

just wondering what problems you guys hate the most when on a job. i would say mine would be silicone in skirtings, door frames, etc. i can't stand it man! also paint on hinges. what's up with that. oh and remember, you can't all say the customer

2. Burlington Bertie

Burlington Bertie New Member

Woodwork that has not been knotted. Even pro decorators don't seem to bother with it. And silicone inside and outside on replacement windows/doors. And rubbing down. It's a dirty, hard job but has to be done. And people who phone up and ask 'Do you do decorating' even when they have got your number though your advert which says 'Interior and exterior decorators'

3. bobbie-dazzler

bobbie-dazzler New Member

I go along with BB with regards to Knotting, it does my head in, and it only takes a few mins.
    Going over what would have been lovely panel doors if the previous barstewards could have been bothered to knot and rub down., and the panels are as rough as anything.
    Filling, I dont mind some, but lately some of the jobs I have been on, and I'v taken the paper off, and you can see the walls have never had any prep since the house was built.
    Customers who would do thier own stripping and filling, you go in and spend half a day going over what they done.
    Customers who forgets to take the curtains down, or move the pics from the walls.
    Customers who have moved the furniture, but didnt think to hoover up the krap thet been lurcking behind the sofa, and theres hair, cobwebs, and mounds of dirt, I refuse to put my dustsheets down.

4. jcts

jcts Active Member

Customers who have moved the furniture, but didnt
    think to hoover up the krap thet been lurcking behind
    the sofa, and theres hair, cobwebs, and mounds of
    dirt, I refuse to put my dustsheets down.

some times that is so disgusting

5. feva

feva New Member

silicone is one for me as well! i was working on a refit for a hairdressers last year, my uncle got the job of refit'ing ( he has his own building firm) my dad who is a joiner fitted new doors, and frames etc, i started to cuut in the walls while my uncle is going around all the wood work with decorators caulk or what he thought it was, i caught the smell of it and said that silicone, and for ten minutes im saying that its silicone, would he ***** have it!!! i kept saying just check the tube, and all he kept saying was ' i dont need to, i know what im doing!' silly sod spent a hour picking it out!!!
    im the same with customers not moving stuff i just say il move it but if i break anything its not down to me to replace it! another one is, if you read my post the other week about pricing jobs, ul understand that i was charging way to cheap of a day rate, and the job i was refering to in that post, on the first day i was there she came out and said ' do i get discount if i get you more work' just call red cross decorating!!!

6. Customers who's pets or children are left to run around and get in the way.

Customers who expect you to remove radiators to paint or paper behind.

Customers who close freshly painted windows and moan that the paint has pulled away when they open them again.

I had a customer who expected me to ease about 15 sticking windows as part of the exterior paint job, this was never mentioned at the time I quoted. I had to plane the window frames to get them to close properly. Then they baulked when I charged them extra.

7. camels toe

camels toe Member

My mate Harry who thinks its funny to get his old chap out to stir the paint. Mind you he stopped doing it now coz he done it with gloss.

8. Telmay

Telmay New Member

Customers who expect you to remove radiators to paint or paper behind - I just get a plumber mate in now for that one, I mean how often do you insprect behind your rads!

Silicon can be a real ***** - worked on one where the plumber had put in a new sink and used clear silicon around new basin on a freshly plastered wall - priceless.

As BB says ads, big van that says p&d and I wear white trousers and poloshirts on the back of which is my number and painter and decorator and still people ask - Are you a painter!!!!! ***!!!!

Best one is if your working in a complete shitehole and they ask you take your shoes off when you do the quote!

9. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Best one is if your working in a complete shitehole and they ask you take your shoes off when you do the quote!

Had exactly that back in April, I'm not saying the house was filthy but I wiped my feet on the pavement when I left.

10. prep it

prep it New Member

Hate stripping woodchip thats beeen coated with silk or even worse gloss...being asked to paint woodwork above a conservatory with a plastic roof then when you say it can't be done without scaffolding getting the reply "the last guy managed ok" and as eveyone else says bloody silicone and one that just happened this afternoon moved a dustsheet next to a freshly glossed door and it flicked lots of ** all over the new paint, my fault fair enough but sometimes you could just weep

[Edited by: admin5]

11. prep it

prep it New Member

Oh! and another thing when you give advice on this forum and no one gets back to let you know how it all turned out...............

12. jcts

jcts Active Member

im the same with customers not moving stuff i just
    say il move it but if i break anything its not down
    to me to replace it!

public liability

13. jcts

jcts Active Member

mmmmm your right jimbob, children are another major pain. pets not so much as you can lock em in another room or put them outside

14. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Silicon can be a real *** - worked on one where the plumber had put in a new sink and used clear silicon around new basin on a freshly plastered wall - priceless.
    Telmay, was this one in Hythe Road?

15. danennis60

danennis60 New Member

Cutting Gripfill off the tops of skirtings that chippies couldnt be bothered to wipe off. Did a job recently where they had wiped some on a new cill and l had to cut out half the wood to remove it! So called pre-primed doors that are grey and dont cover and yes, silicone. Cleaning off distemper has got to be up there too.

16. ponty01.

ponty01. New Member

Come on guys, these are all part of he terroritory in which you work and make a decent living. Next you will be wanting the customer to prepare the paintwork for you, strip the wallpaper etc. You need to SUMO - shut up and move on ;)

17. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

"Next you will be wanting the customer to prepare the paintwork for you, strip the wallpaper etc."

Your way behind, get that done already, stupid.

18. ponty01.

ponty01. New Member

........... then when they have done that the customer could paste the paper for you .....

19. bobbie-dazzler

bobbie-dazzler New Member

Best one is if your working in a complete shitehole
    and they ask you take your shoes off when you do the
    quote!

Another good one, is when you go into to decorate HSL, and you hoover up at the end of the day, you end up hoovering thier kr@p thats already there.
    You know the stairs hasnr been touched for weeks, as all the dog hairs and dirt is in the corners, same with a kitchen floor, and yet your expected to put down your clean dustsheets.

I have some really nice dustsheets, which I wash on a regular basis, and there is nothing worse than putting them down, and when you leave the job they have picked up dog hairs, so you end up leaving the dog hairs at the next job unless you wash them after every job which I dont, but I do wash them often.

One client was so fussy, that when I started, I arrived at the door, it had been dry weather for days, she openend the door and looked at my feet, and said, 'Ah, we dont do shoes', 'what size shoe do you take?', 'Hmmm, I might have a pair of slippers around', I could not believe this, as I always place a dust sheet in the hall anyway.
    I looked at her and said, 'dont even think about it, I am not wearing your slippers'
    I wouldnt have minded so much if it had been a plush house, whith cream carpets or something, but the carpets were like something from the 70s, all swirly patterns and green.

20. deadonmate

deadonmate New Member

Pets, kids, old gits, my dad was a decorator and that's not how you do that, silicone, you only got the job cos you're quote was the cheapest, I don't want undercoat just gloss it, I'm not paying for prep work just wack it on, you missed a bit, I forgot you were coming today can you come back tomorrow, whats you're seems like?, watch that tin matey oh too late.

and many more :)

Now why do I do decorating for joe public?