X-(

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by jcts, Jul 5, 2007.

1. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

I'm a handyman

I think most of us had already reached that conclusion.

2. Burlington Bertie

Burlington Bertie New Member

Burlington,most probably I have been decorating for
    longer than you, depending on our age, but not in a
    professional way. Lots of people I have known asked
    me to do it because I`m a handyman. The reason why I
    asked here how to do it is to find out how the pros
    do it, and copy from them. I didn`t know about this
    forum till recently somebody told me about it.

I don't think so mate. I have been decorating for over 40 years and, from the basic questions you have posted on this forum, i would say you have been decorating for about 10 minutes (and that as a complete amateur). I only hope for your customers sake that your 'handyman' knowledge is better than your decorating knowledge:^O

PS So we owe someone a thank you for telling you about this forum ??

3. thescrew

thescrew New Member

PS So we owe someone a thank you for telling you
    about this forum ??

Of course Burlington, hasn`t anybody learned anything about my posts yet?. I`ll be reporting on my new giant paddle spatulas next week when I do the job.

4. gardm1nt

gardm1nt New Member

He must be never paint again. paddle spatulas lol! what about that langlow peelaway membrane you were on about or have you now realised its for paint stripping not wallpaper.

5. jcts

jcts Active Member

Of course Burlington, hasn`t anybody learned anything
    about my posts yet?

yep i learnt that your a complete ****

[Edited by: admin5]

6. thescrew

thescrew New Member

gardm1nt, or is it garden mint, did you log in www.wallwick.co.uk?, is it time to swallow your words?.......

7. gardm1nt

gardm1nt New Member

The link doesnt work..... no suprise there. A spiked roller, steamer and scraper work perfectly well and reasnably quickly. Even asuming youve found something like thelanglow paper why ** about when theres a time honoured method at very little cost.

[Edited by: admin5]

8. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

The link doesn't work..... Yes it does, screwloose has spelt the name wrongly. Try "wallwik".

9. gardm1nt

gardm1nt New Member

Ok Thanks to astra Ive seen it. i wonder if the presumably strong chemicals would afect paint / paste adhesion.

Think Ill stick to steam.

10. thescrew

thescrew New Member

Ok Thanks to astra Ive seen it. i wonder if the
    presumably strong chemicals would afect paint / paste
    adhesion.

Think Ill stick to steam.

those sheets don`t work with chemicals, they are just sheets of cloth. You score the paper, then wet the paper and sheets with paint stripper, then stick the sheets on the paper, and leave for 1/2 hour wetting the sheets occassionally. No need to buy the sprayer, I will use a pump action garden sprayer or a brush. The sheets can be used for about 100 times. I enquired about it.

I got the address wrong from that guy at the pub, anyway.
    www.wallwik.co.uk is the right one.

11. gardm1nt

gardm1nt New Member

'then wet the paper and sheets with paint stripper'

So it does use chemicals then. also walls vary in size etc so I doubt this systme will be quick.

Why dont you do a time experiment, Im prepared to give you an apology if Im proved wrong.

12. thescrew

thescrew New Member

I`ve already said I was going to report to the forum when I do the job. The chemicals it uses is the usual paint stripper, the sheets are the width of the paper and two make a full drop.

I`m not trying to prove anybody wrong, I just want to find the quickest way to strip paper off the walls. I spent over £30 for 2 packs of 6 sheets each, which will cover 6 drops, that means I can carry on stripping without waiting for the stripper to soften the paper, and using my paddle spatulas will make the job much easier I hope......... I find steam too slow and cumbersome. I`m not paid very much by that tight fisted rich boss of mine, so time is precious.

What do you mean by the chemicals damaging the paint?. I always start the job by covering the skirting board with a sheet stuck to it with masking tape, so that no damage is done to the skirting or carpet, although in some flats the masking tape is more valuable than the smelly old rotten carpet.

13. gardm1nt

gardm1nt New Member

I rekon you will have to spend a long time washing the walls to neutralize the stripper residue or you will have truble with adhesion of any finish be it emulsion or paper.

Peronally for paint stripping I always try to avoid chemical paint stripper favouring a live flame (although takes a lot of care and skill) or a belt sander with dust extraction.

In the few situations I ues it then I make my own with caustic soda and cornflour.

14. thescrew

thescrew New Member

I`m not pro gardm1nt, I`m a handyman normally working self employed for landlords, that`s the only way to have regular work, and after stripping the paper I quickly sand the walls with a flat mop to which I attach 60 or 80 sanding paper, then I was them with sugar soap and most times I size them too.

I do this quite quickly because I use flat mops and don`t have to go up and down steps.

I can get away with an average job because the landlors couldn`t care less about how it looks, as long as they get a tenant in.

15. ponty01.

ponty01. New Member

If you have found a market that suits you, keep to it and keep taking the money. :)

16. thescrew

thescrew New Member

If you have found a market that suits you, keep to it
    and keep taking the money. :)

Well, I`m with stupid, for what you say, you`re NOT stupid at all.

17. Burlington Bertie

Burlington Bertie New Member

Mr Screw.
    60 grade to rub down walls?. Not only are you not a pro decorator you are not a pro handyman either.

No wonder your rich boss pays you FA. That's all you are worth

60 grade to rub down walls !! Why not try a hammer and bolster or an SDS drill with a wide chisel, they would probably take of less plaster than 60 grade

18. ponty01.

ponty01. New Member

TS you will be fine with 60 grade why pee about with fine stuff. You will get the same result more quickly.

19. gardm1nt

gardm1nt New Member

The same result.... what terrible scratches that will show through.

20. ponty01.

ponty01. New Member

True - but you need to think about the final finish, if its papered or if a mottled paint finish is required, hey what the hell, 60 / 80s will be fine