XP taking a long time to load.

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by devil's advocate, Feb 8, 2007.

1. MOONSHINE

MOONSHINE New Member

Prefetch data stores data for quick access so if it's checked uncheck it.

2. MOONSHINE

MOONSHINE New Member

Don't download anything I will try to check it out for you when I have time. Is the com slow too or just at start up?

3. nearnwales

nearnwales Member

4. devil's advocate

devil's advocate New Member

Er, thanks nearwales - mind if I run that past MOONSHINE first?! ;)

MOONSHINE, the pooter is fine during normal running - it's just the startup (black screen with windows logo and scrolling blue bar) that seems to be taking an age.

I'll check out what you said about the CCleaner.

Thanks.

5. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

You will be surprised how many things load BEFORE you even get to Windows.

And it is not necessarily the number of thing that load that takes the time.

Sometimes a single entry can take a good few seconds(10secs maybe)to load.

Firewalls and AV programs can take a while. Although most of their stuff loads AFTER the bootup, some of it loads before windows.

These are the ones(you may have noticed) that when you install them, or update them, and then restart, you may see the message in the black screen(configuration),'Updating configuration, continuing to load windows' etc

Have you ever done a 'Diagnostic Startup ? This is where you can see(and allow) all these items that load at boot, and possibly see some that either should not be there, or that take a long time to load.

Sometimes(if you find an entry that takes a long time to load), reinstalling it from it's programme can speed it up.

Once again, Firewalls /AntiVirus programmes can be culprits when their logs become full(much like System Restore.

Just saying from what I've experienced. Windows ME..60secs from switch-on to Desktop. 20seconds in configuration window(POST), which could be removed.

Mr. HandyAndy - really

Mr. HandyAndy - really

6. devil's advocate

Hi Mr Ha.

No, I haven't tried a 'Diagnostic Startup' - I wouldn't know where to start. Is there info on this in the Windows 'help' section, or elsewhere (to save you having to metaphorically take me by the hand ;))?

I've removed a few progs from the 'startup' program menu (things I didn't need unless called for), but this made no difference.

Thanks for the suggestions.

7. MOONSHINE

MOONSHINE New Member

You say you have a split hard drive is it partitioned? Maybe the com at start up is looking for the right drive don’t know much about what might go on this side of the com. Shoot me down in flames.
    I will check later when I have done a bit of work for king & country.
    Handy most programmes are removed from add & remove programmes there’s probably nothing wrong with that programme I can check again anytime.
    I did remove it but it was still on my com. I’m not saying there’s much wrong with the programme but I’m running XP Hyper threading & over 3.00GHz with 1000mb of ram & I don’t want anything to conflict with it. & when you remove any programme on the com there are still loads in the registry left behind.
    There is one programme a freeware that I have tested da that is if you are brave enough to use it & trust me lol It will back up the registry so will be ok if you get little problems, but so far it’s done a great job.

8. -chippy_john

-chippy_john New Member

I am not making this a 500 page topic.

Havin' a damn good try though.

9. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Hi Mr Ha.

No, I haven't tried a 'Diagnostic Startup' - I
    wouldn't know where to start. Is there info on this
    in the Windows 'help' section, or elsewhere (to save
    you having to metaphorically take me by the hand
    ;))?

I've removed a few progs from the 'startup' program
    menu (things I didn't need unless called for), but
    this made no difference.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Windows help - troubleshooting. Yes, it's all there.

You have to remember I'm talking ME, so any differences in XP, forgive me, I'm limited there.

Mr. HandyAndy - really

10. MOONSHINE

MOONSHINE New Member

Chippy it can run 500 if it wants this will not bother me if it's kept a clean topic & not arguing about freeware & what it can do I already said if guy's want to use freeware that’s up to them. The main topic here is for guy’s here to see if they can find a solution to this mans problem.

11. devil's advocate

Cheers Mr Ha and MOONSHINE.

12. devil's advocate

Right, I've f**d-up really badly.

Switched on my pooter and left the room. Came back a few minutes late and black screen with a line of text along the top (can't remember exactly what it was :()and 'press any key to continue' - with no other option.

So I press...

New screen "Symantec Ghost 7.5" and 'loading partition' at the bottom, with a scroll bar showing progress.

I had a horrible feeling about this, but didn't know what to do - no 'cancel' button or anything.

So, I've completely restored my computer it seems, back to factory setting, or something. It's all gone back to the way when I first got the computer - felt like throwing up.

Had to re-install XP (well, I had to re-enter the code number - the actual software was obviously still there), and then searched frantically for my photos and stuff. I found a few rolls in 'My Photos' but the vast majority seem to have gone. Why would some remain and some be 'deleted'. (I did make a backup CD about a year ago, but have taken lots since then.)

Good news, Windows now starts up in about 12 seconds :(

But lots of stuff missing - a lot of the software I'd loaded (not a problem 'cos I can redo this), but all the associated files (eg Word, etc) have disappeared as well.

Feel like shit.

13. nudger

nudger New Member

Click start, Click programs, Click Accesories, Click defrag, This process will take upto 1 hour but will put your files in the corect oreder and should speed up your machine. Secondly click on start, then control panel, then internet option, then click delete all temporary files. These 2 processes will speed up your machine and should be done at least once a month

14. MOONSHINE

MOONSHINE New Member

I think he done this nudge nudge wink wink. i need a nap been up 12 hours already

15. MOONSHINE

MOONSHINE New Member

Ghost is a mirror image I think? your problem must of been a double partition? Try a search for all files & folders for your pictures I don’t think you had a full windows install? In the past I had lots of reinstalling of windows. Do you have to install service pack 2? 25 seconds your second hand is to fast lol

16. devil's advocate

Hi nudger - it's a bit more serious than that :(, but thanks for the tips.

Hi MOONSHINE. Reloaded my internet driver (yep, even that had gone) and went onto PC Pro's website and downloaded a few different recovery progs. Tried a trial version of 'DiscInternals FAT Recovery', and >50,000 file bits were recovered... As I scrolled down through the list, and clicked on every jpeg I came across, my poor heart leapt when the faces of my l'il kiddies appeared <<sniff>>

The trial version won't let me save recovered files though - b'stards - but at least I know the stuff (well, most of it) is still 'there'.

Any idea what the 'best' recovery progs are - ie: simple to use :(?

Yes, I think the 'Ghost' thing is part of the 'Mirror Vision' that came with the pooter (a Multivision machine), and it does have a hard drive that's been split C: and D:. For some reason, it decided it was time top go back to factory settings, or something - lawd knows why.

17. Bcountry

Bcountry New Member

Hi DA

Glad your almost sorted. After purchasing our first digital camera all those years ago I was in fear of having a similar problem so I purchased an extrnal media player hard drive from Freecom;
    http://www.freecom.com/ecNewsitem.asp?ID=3906
    I think that particular one is now discontinued however there are better and chaeper ones on the market now. This allows you to play video, photos and music through a tv or stereo.
    I then downloaded a tool from the microsoft website called synctoy;
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/digitalphotography/prophoto/synctoy.mspx
    A simple backup tool to create a copy of your photos, videos and music at a touch of a button. It will check for new or altered files and just copy those particular ones across.
    Better than backing up onto CDs or DVDs.

Hope this helps you prevent a similar situation.

18. devil's advocate

Thanks Bcountry.

That's very useful stuff - I'll def go for the back-up prog when I'm sorted. Cheers.

I'm also thinking of adding a further hard drive inside my pooter too (I like to keep things tidy - and cheap! :))