Yale Lock P1 Door Slamming

Discussion in 'Job Talk' started by Jay777, Apr 30, 2020.

1. Jay777

Jay777 New Member

Hello there,

I have Yale P1 lock installed but I am having issue that it needs to be slammed to fully close the door! I’m worried especially the door has stained glass and don’t want it to be damaged over time.

The key in main body appear to be fine and can be fully turned and the latch retracts easily when you play with the lock handle.

But when you want to close the door without having to use the lock handle, it needs to be slammed.

The gap between main lock and secondary body in frame isn’t too close so it doesn’t catch.

I have attached images.

Attached Files:

2. dobbie

dobbie Screwfix Select

Has the keep been installed too far back to allow the door to latch easily.
    Try moving it back a touch towards the inside of the house.

3. Jay777

Jay777 New Member

So you are suggesting moving the keep in the frame backwards towards inside the house?

4. dobbie

dobbie Screwfix Select

It looks like the keep has been recessed into the face of the frame for some reason, that would be the reason it needs to be slammed for it to latch.

5. Jay777

Jay777 New Member

Cheers will try that.

I have been reading other threads, and thought it may be lubrication with graphite powder or something? Other suggested that my latch is ‘heavy’?

6. DGB

DGB Member

I have the same lock and the same issue. Mine is on a heavy oak door so less of a problem but I do have to shut it hard.

7. Jay777

Jay777 New Member

Thanks DGB, might try moving the keep onwards and applying graphite powder to the back of the latch to see if it helps

8. Mike58

Mike58 Screwfix Select

DO NOT USE GRAPHITE POWDER - Yale advise against it .

I have seen similar problems that the bolt does not easily retract as you pull the door shut and no end of tweaking seems to solve it. In t end it is normally use a key to close it.

Jay777 likes this.
  9. Jay777

Jay777 New Member

Thanks Mike58, seems to be very common to use graphite powder.. I think Yale recommends Teflon lube?

I have solid pine door so not too bad but will use key to turn the latch then..

10. Mike58

Mike58 Screwfix Select

It was common years back, however they now suggest GT85 (PTFE based)

Astramax likes this.
  11. Jay777

Jay777 New Member

Cheers again. Will use GT85 to see if it helps a bit.. I don’t mind if it doesn’t massively.

12. Jay777

Jay777 New Member

GT85 worked a treat! Thanks guys

Astramax likes this.