Yatch varnish

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by SianyB, Oct 4, 2020.

Tags:
  1. SianyB

SianyB New Member

I've made a new desk from MDf. I've used an acrylic primer undercoat. A few coats and sanded in between then plan on painting it with a matt kitchen paint to match the kitchen. However I want to varnish it to protect it from scratches and I bought yatch varnish as figured that would be a stronger finish. However no instructions on tin for applications to paint. Only wood (probably obviously). Does anyone know if this is can be used on paint and will it have a good workable finish? Any advice always helpful. Thank you.

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

It will be ok, drying time and fully cure time will be the problem as it will need to be a hard finish, applying several thin coats is far better than a couple of thick applications. Sand the surface between coats with wet and dry paper of about 400 grit and used wet. Better, quicker drying products are available today and was thinking towards the Osmo Top Oil ranges but would have to check if these can be applied over pre-painted surfaces.