Yellow gas pipe depth

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by NAF, Mar 23, 2006.

1. NAF

NAF Member

Hi, please can someone tell what depth yellow gas pipes needs to be and what material should be around it. Also, where should the safety tape be situtated?
    Screwfix don't sell the pipe. ANyone know where to get some - I only need 8m
    Thank you

2. doitall

doitall New Member

For a start off you need to be Corgi registered with ticket for pipework.

Before answering your question we would need to know what you're doing and why.

Its not all about chucking a length of plastic pipe in the ground.

3. SDSMax

SDSMax New Member

if you need to ask these questions you shouldn't be burying gas pipes in the first place!

4. Hombre

Hombre New Member

NAF, do you mean pipe or duct?
    Normally Transo would do the pipe, but you can bury the duct, transco/your local supplier should be able to advise on depths.
    If you need a short length of duct I have some (in North Cheshire)!

5. NAF

NAF Member

I'm asking cos I know it's not a case of chucking some pipe into the ground, and also Transco told me 450 mm (from their call centre) and a builder told me 30". I've read on their site 450 so I'll go with 450 mm, but is this for all cases. I'need to lay pipe up my driveway.

I'm putting pipe in preperation for moving my meter which Tranco and will do and the Corgi registered gas person connect to the interior etc. etc. .............

Hombre, thankyou for the offer of some pipe.

I'm still decicding on a wall or semi concealed box.
    I already have a wall box but will need to extend outside pipework down side of the house, but trench will be dug for new drains anyway.

If I go semi consealed box out the front of the house I can extend pipework inside the house instead of outside.

Also, if I use a semi consealed I may have to change the meter. Anyone know which meters can't go in a semi consealed?

Any comments or advice will be gratefully received.

6. doitall

doitall New Member

Must have at least 375mm of cover, be laid on sand, and covered with sand, tracer mesh/tape is normally 150mm above the pipe.

Pipe also has to be 450mm from any other service

7. Cornish Crofter

Cornish Crofter Active Member

With regrds to the pipe.

IIRC only Transco or their contractors should have access to this.

The problem with access for all and sundry is that people have been known to use the yellow pipe for burying cables.

Scenario is that pipe is doug up during subsequent construction and gas is isolated to allow transco engineer to cut it, Transco engineer is then killed by electrocution.

Not a nice thought. When I had gas put in at a property, and the contractors working for Transco basically abandoned the job, the area manger from Transco came to the property where the contractors had left all their materials there including several bags of sand and aggregate, a few cement bags and one roll of yellow pipe. The manager was happy for me to make use of the materials but insisted on removing the pipe.

CC

8. doitall

doitall New Member

Plumber actually did that cutting through a blue water pipe with a hacksaw.
    Previous owner thought it a great idea to run a cable down to the shed inside it.

Anyone can buy the pipe from Pipeline etc etc etc

9. as an apprentice, we (me and engineer) got called to a outside gas escape, on a building plot.

On arrival the JCB driver says... whats in that pipe, (old rusty iron) that went across the trench for the footings... the engineer said.. got no idea, wheres the escape? to which reply came there isn't one... why cant you cut the pipe to see if its live!?

when we refused he threatened to put the JCB bucket through it...

We told him where to stick his pipe & left!

10. duanne

duanne New Member

polyethylene pipework needs to be contained in a metal sleeve to contain gas if pipe fails.should have at least 375mm depth in cover when buried in soil,below vehicular traffic areas and when buried within or below concrete,suitable back-fill materail and to the use of a tracer tape along the supply route,

11. doitall

doitall New Member

Nice one buddy

Where did you read that,

The duanne essential gas safety handbook.

PE pipe in a metal sleeve :( Don't think so. :)

12. duanne

duanne New Member

i am sorry , wot i meant was if it was entering internally it needs to be sleeved,read it in acs core safety handbook.....lol

13. doitall

doitall New Member

no probs duanne.

if it was going into the building the last 1m before the building and out of the ground would have to be in steel wrapped in Denso tape or similar after testing, then it would be sleeved through the wall and sealed one end.