Yes I'm still alive and got a question

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by ukwoody, Sep 22, 2004.

1. ukwoody

ukwoody New Member

Hi all, don't know how many of you remember me, but it's good to see so many familiar names still on here (dewalt, bodget, dewy etc etc). I decided that I would give Wales a try, and after 6 months bl**dy hard work now have quite a successfull carpentry / maintenance business in Pembrokeshire.

Thank you all for your advice and help many months ago, it seems to have paid off! But i've only recently been able to afford a laptop in my rented flat up here, so haven't been online.

Now I have a question, have any of you used one of these modern "frame" type compressors, where instead of having an air tank , the resevoir is actually built into the carrying frame of the unit?
    I want to occasionally run a framing type nailer and it was suggested this was the way forward.
    look forward to hearing from you!
    kind regards Woody

2. ukwoody

ukwoody New Member

3. dewaltdisney

dewaltdisney New Member

Hiya UK,

Nice to have you back again.

I have just got a cheapo Ferm outfit and the only point I would suggest here, from my limited experience, is that the water build up might be difficult to drain from the frame. In the picture there is one drain valve but I reckon that you would have to tip it around a bit to get the water out. The other thing is because of the , limited capacity 'tank' it would be running all the time as the pressure would soon deplete as you use the tools.

The water issue is important as you do nit want this getting through to the nail gun or spray gun for obvious reasons. From a portability point of view this style must be easier to hump around or get in and out of the van.

Anyway, good luck with your new business and welcome back.

DWD

4. Kirby Castle

Kirby Castle New Member

Woody,

I have EXACTLY this for my Ferm multi T-Nailer and it works a treat. I use about 70psi for timber to timber and up it to 90-100psi for timber to masonary. Compressor fires up after every 4-5 nails. Frame nail guns have a larger capacity but when I bought mine the chap in the shop said it would still cope OK (I did think I may invest in one in the future). They are reasonably light and fine to "carry around to jobs".

I have had no problem draining the unit and it isnt difficult to "tip over" to ensure any water is on the drain valve side. You can get little in-line oilers to lubricate tools. I have recently modded mine to fit an external tank on the high pressure side to give the unit a bit more capacity and that has worked well too.

Steve

5. ukwoody

ukwoody New Member

At last finally managed to get on the site again!
    thanks for the replies. Some one has suggested to go for a little 6ltr tank comp with a high cfm factor (at least 7cfm) this would work out to be a little cheaper, but Im not sure.
    What do others use for their framing/multi nailers??? (portable!)

woody

6. bodget&scarpers

bodget&scarpers New Member

bye eck lad,welcum back.

7. ukwoody

ukwoody New Member

praise indeed when B&S says welcome back! :) cheers

8. bodget&scarpers

bodget&scarpers New Member

ooh ,u married ?