Yet another cordless drill topic

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Gusset, Feb 2, 2005.

1. Gusset

Gusset New Member

Homebase are doing 18v cordless drills, 2 batts, 3yr guarantee (and I cant see anything that excludes the batts from that) described as ' for heavy duty/professional use' for £60 (sale price). Brand name is "Workx" They look well built & solid, feel reassuringly heavy...anyone have any experience of this brand?

2. dewaltdisney

dewaltdisney New Member

Hi Gus,

I think that £60 is a bit strong to take a risk, I bought a 18v Draper with two batteries for £20 from Robert Dyas. They have a BD 18v hammer for £60
    http://www.robertdyas.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10051&storeId=10001&productId=41489&langId=-1&parent_categoryrn=10078

I think that these cheaper drills may have been stockpiled and the batteries might not last as long, so £20 is worth it. The cheaper drill batteries take longer to charge as well which might be a consideration for you. If you are going to use a drill for trade then these are really not up to it and you need to think about spending a lot more money. Having said this my £20 cheapey has already had a bit of a hammering and the batteries lasted well in use.

If it packs up tomorrow I can chuck it with no concern as it has paid for itself already in service terms.

DWD

3. Gusset

Gusset New Member

I'm not trade but renovating a house & do a lot of odd jobs for mates & relatives (keeps me in beer, free car servicing etc!) Was looking for a decent quality, rattle around the car boot 'second' drill. Claimed 1 hour recharge on the Worx ones. Must admit though I have had good service from £15-20 disposable cheapies in the past but they tend not to have the hammer action. Must share this with all of you tho - if you live anywhere near Corby/Northants, today i found a 'clearance bargains' warehouse just opened, selling off last seasons argos stock i think - brand new boxed corded drills £12, B&D corded SDS in a nice case £20, challenge SDS cordless 24v £25 - might stock up and put em on ebay just for a laugh! Loads of other stuff too, dvd players to garden furniture, all 1/2 price or less. let me know if you want directions, only opoen till the end of april i am told.

4. doodles

doodles New Member

Could you let us know the address of this warehouse

5. drew

drew New Member

Yea whereabouts in Corby is this please?

6. big all

big all Screwfix Select

youve got to be carefull it will say somewhere excluding fair wear and tare or consumables which could include most bits or very few depends on ther interpritation of the paperwork

7. Gusset

Gusset New Member

Well now, I promised to tell you where the warehouse was - to be honest I dont know the actual address, but ...its just off the A43, if you head for the Weldon Industrial Estate on the A43 from the Eurohub roundabout, go over 2 sets of lights on the dual carriageway and just before the next roundabout you will see a big building on your left with a small "clearance bargains" banner attached to the side - thats where you need to be. If you know the area that should make sense, if not post back & I will try to do better.

8. Gusset

Gusset New Member

Well I won a tenner on the lottery and decided to treat myself, so I though f... it and bought the drill, and very nice it is too, powerful, nicely balanced etc. Tracked down the manufacturer to a company called Positec, italian design & far eastern manufacture??? I THINK they make the 'performance power' brand as well, but this one seems to be much higher quality that that tat, maybe I'm kidding myself but we will see. Guarantee does not cover trade use and gives the usual exclusions for misuse, accident etc but nothing unreasonable. Early days yet but happy so far, will report back if it gives me any hint of trouble!

9. sootyvan

sootyvan New Member

I have the same Worx drill, seems pretty good to me. You can get it in argos as part of a combo kit with a matching circular saw, jigsaw and torch for £100. Mine also came with a free 300 piece drill bit set - don't know if they are still doing that offer though...