Yet another extractor question......

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by IanH, Dec 17, 2003.

1. IanH

IanH Guest

I've had a read through existing forum posts but am still a little in the dark, so some assistance would be appreciated.

I am looking at fitting the shower light/extractor unit.
    http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?ts=62810&id=18655

Ideally I would have like to remove the exisitng light fitting and replaced it with this unit but I don't think the light would be sufficent, even in my matchbox sized bathroom.

So, as an alternative can I do either of the following, and if so is there anything else I need to consider?

1. Wire the light/fan on the the exisitng light circuit so it comes on using the exisitng light pull cord. (I am not concerned about the timer function)

2. Wire the light onto the electric shower circuit so it only comes on when the shower is on. ( I assume this would need to be fused..)

3. Alternatives?

all advice is much appreciated.

regards

Ian

2. Sam Dingle

Sam Dingle New Member

you can wire the new light/transformer in to the existing lighting circuit, no problem.

If you wire the light in to the shower circuit you'll have to add in 5Amp fuse spur to protect the light/transformer/cable.

I personaly wouldn't recomend the latter but I'm sure someone will check the regs for you.

3. IanH

IanH Guest

I wasn't too keen on the shower circuit idea myself, but it was an idea.

when you say I'll be fine with the light/transformer wired into the light circuit does this include the fan as well? I understand from the text on the part that the fan is still 240V, (and therfore I assume a seperate cable?).

Can I simply fix the transformer to the joist above?

4. Beneley

Beneley New Member

You can fix the transformer to the joist, just make sure there is no roof insulation above or near it, they run quite warm and have a maximum temperature rating.

5. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Hello IanH

Sorry but your option 2 is not an option. You are not allowed to wire anything else on to a shower circuit. The shower circuit MUST be a stand alone circuit.

Just use the existing lighting circuit for your fan and your fan should be spurred off a switched 3A fcu as a means of isolation.

RSS

6. IanH

IanH Guest

Unphased,

thanks. So what's an fcu in english?

Ian

7. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

A fused connection unit, commonly called a fused spur box