Yet another shower question???

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Leoric, Jan 31, 2007.

1. MOONSHINE

MOONSHINE New Member

Mr. Handyandy

Re: Yet another shower question???
    Posted: Feb 7, 2007 8:14 PM Reply

he never gives up does he

This (in the link) is a Triton Seville shower unit.

http://www.showerdoc.co.uk/shower-spares/triton/seville.html

The part that the supply cable terminals are on is midway between the back and the front of the unit. The cable entry hole is at the back of the unit. The cable enters the hole, goes down behind the terminal panel, bends at the bottom, and up to the terminals.

The top entry hole is not sealed, nor is it designed to be sealed, nor is it necessary to seal it, as the onlt thing in that cahannel is fully sheathed cable. You will see that if water enters this channel, it may run down the cable and anywhere it likes at the bottom.

Now. I say, you CANNOT put an unprotected join ANYWHERE on the cable, as it would have to be in the channel behind the terminals where water is allowed to enter and exit.

If you think you can now STILL say I'm wrong, you are not only mistaken, but completely inapt at your profession(alleged profession).

No need to apologise, just take it on the chin, and keep learning.

An' another one gone, an' another one gone.....

Mr. HandyAndy - really

This is the way it is ANT you are wrong lol ok better do a bit been up 6 hours already I will soon be working 24/7

2. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds New Member

Open the showerdoc drawing and Ant's photo in separate windows.

Position side-by-side.

They look remarkably similar, and I can't see any way that you could have water running through any part of the inside of the case and not have horrendous problems...

3. Plumbersam

Plumbersam New Member

What a morning back for some brunch thought I would browse the wife’s cooking.

Nice photo of the internal shower ANT. I think you all have been how do you say hoodwinked by this Handy guy. Looks to me he found a shower unit that they call a service tunnel for the cable this is to me a gimmick but I don’t know why he would show this when the guy who originally posted doesn’t have one of these showers what do you say back peddle.

These showers don’t have any water run off in them they are water tight spray tested. I wouldn’t personally buy one because of this feature if I had to run a cable from above I would run pass behind the shower & come up from below. Before this type he showed in the link I have once or twice seen a drill hole from above the terminal & fed in the block from the top & the feed was swapped over but that was a long time ago. Even hardened plumbers would have a job understanding this mans confusing tactics. So handy why show a shower that this man don’t own & maybe never will?
    Wife’s calling got to eat by dudes.

4. Plumbersam

Plumbersam New Member

Ok guys got some food Lucia you are correct but can this be explained why this guy would show this type of shower?
    When guy's read this thread like many I have been on get a picture of a typical shower unit fixed in their brain. You guy’s should give handy a wide birth in future twist twist stwist things about until it goes his way. Yes handy you are right about the cable run in a non conventional shower but none of these guys were taking about this particular box they are talking about a conventional shower this man has who originally asked the question.

When I was in the USA I had a guy like this in my teaching collage never wrong & would go out of his way to prove guys wrong & waver from what’s actually going on.
    Call out now work to do.
    in

5. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Moony, pandy will be pandy I'm afraid. The
    non-electrician who thinks he is an electrician.

If you want a real laugh, why not ask him what the
    resistance of his shower is?

I'm wondering if there is a water channel in my
    consumer unit? Water channel, the funniest thing I've
    ever heard. All over the inside of a shower, there
    are connections, on the heating can and bits on one
    side and the other side the switch etc. How can water
    be allowed to run in any of that, where there are
    electrical connections?

Crazy, from banging nails into carpets, telling us
    rubbish about the resistance of an element which
    defies ohm law to making a hash of himself again,
    saying that water can flow where there are
    unprotected connections.

Pandy, pillock boy, follow this link

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a3/ant1981/Showernoco
    ver-07-06-2004.jpg

That is a Triton T80Si, please show me where the
    water channel is amongst all of those electrical
    connections. This is a high res photo. I look forward
    to reading your backward peddles upon my return from
    work.

Good day to one and all :)

Still looking forward to my reply. I don't really have to say anything(the others have said it all), but as you are so eager.....

in your picture, tell me, why can we not see the pipe ?

I wonder how it gets form the TOP to the bottom without being seen ?

I wonder if it enters a channel behind the mid-section, which (I wonder) seems to be separate from the rest of the shower cabling etc.

I wonder if that's the very same channel that the cable(top entry) would run, and I wonder if it would safe to allow that channel NOT to be sealed because there are no exposed electrical parts there.

Hmmmm, I wonder ?

Yes, Have a nice day.

Mr. HandyAndy - really

6. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds New Member

7. HA and BAS please guys I realise now that there is obviously some friction from the past between the two of you.

Sorry but I dont want any part in it when it starts to influence postings. I came here to help and have a laugh with fellow tradespersons but this just gets a little bitter and is not what I envisaged. Subjects seem to change with a what if and a but.

BAS the link is for a retro fit conversion plate to accomodate changing from an old model to newer type only, all the normal current models have the pipe/cable chase pre moulded.

HA please stop the superior attitude as I have pleaded before. Only a portion of what you said is 100% correct.

I know more than you in common sense anyway,

Thank you gentlemen can we have a truce now?

8. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds New Member

Provided their new shower is a Triton....

9. Exactly not much use to anyone else.

I dont know why the guy didnt just extend from the pullcord or isolator in the first place and save all this **** from occurring.

It was mentioned that If possible to do this but the subject went sideways and I dont recall the poster coming back to say Thanks for the info Ive done it?

Well lets look forward to another contentious issue. I for one wont be too eager to assist if it lasts this long.

Cheers

10. Mr. Handyandy

HA and BAS please guys I realise now that there is
    obviously some friction from the past between the two
    of you.

Sorry but I dont want any part in it when it starts
    to influence postings. I came here to help and have a
    laugh with fellow tradespersons but this just gets a
    little bitter and is not what I envisaged. Subjects
    seem to change with a what if and a but.

BAS the link is for a retro fit conversion plate to
    accomodate changing from an old model to newer type
    only, all the normal current models have the
    pipe/cable chase pre moulded.

HA please stop the superior attitude as I have
    pleaded before. Only a portion of what you said is
    100% correct.

I know more than you in common sense anyway,

Thank you gentlemen can we have a truce now?

That remark you made there is why 'all this sh|t happens'.

What I said WAS 100% correct.

There is no need to 'diss' everything I say.

I say it like it is. What I said about the shower is like it is. And there are plenty like it.

Mr. HandyAndy - really

11. Guest

Re: Yet another shower question???
    Posted: Feb 9, 2007 10:32 PM Reply

< Exactly not much use to anyone else.

< I dont know why the guy didnt just extend from the pullcord or isolator in the first place and save all this **** from occurring.

< It was mentioned that If possible to do this but the subject went sideways and I dont recall the poster coming back to say Thanks for the info Ive done it?

< Well lets look forward to another contentious issue. I for one wont be too eager to assist if it lasts this long.

Well thanks guys for all your replies, was away for a few days. Given all the conflicting responses well I mean I thought you could get advice here phew,the wife got a plumber out and he fitted a bar type shower thingy TA again

12. Mr. Handyandy

Bah, humbug! :):)

Mr. HandyAndy - really

13. Lokkars Daisy

Lokkars Daisy New Member

One stopcock

14. Lokkars Daisy

Lokkars Daisy New Member

199 stop cocks

15. Mr. Handyandy

199 stop cocks

You are putting your cocks in the wrong place!!! :O

Mr. HandyAndy - really

16. Lokkars Daisy

Lokkars Daisy New Member

200 STOP COCKS :)

17. Lokkars Daisy

Lokkars Daisy New Member

My cocks were perfectly timed until you put your COCK Instruction post and buggered my final timing .
    Now my cock post is 201 !"!!!!

18. MRWONG006

MRWONG006 New Member

I'm changing my shower in a couple of weeks Can one of you post me a good shower link I want the best with pipe & cable top entry please so it's all concealed thank you.

19. Ant1981

Ant1981 New Member

Still looking forward to my reply. I don't really
    have to say anything(the others have said it all),
    but as you are so eager.....

in your picture, tell me, why can we not see the pipe
    ?

I wonder how it gets form the TOP to the bottom
    without being seen ?

I wonder if it enters a channel behind the
    mid-section, which (I wonder) seems to be separate
    from the rest of the shower cabling etc.

I wonder if that's the very same channel that the
    cable(top entry) would run, and I wonder if it would
    safe to allow that channel NOT to be sealed because
    there are no exposed electrical parts there.

Hmmmm, I wonder ?

Yes, Have a nice day.

Mr. HandyAndy - really

Handy, again, you make a right prat out of yourself. In my link, you can see the pipe to the bottom right. When mentioned of extending a cable, it was mentioned to do it where the electrical connections are and you have to go and back peddle. The reason the mass of pipe is behind the shower, is that the water connection is where it is, bottom right and there is no room to route the pipe down inside the shower!

20. The Trician

The Trician New Member

Ferk me!
    I'd have had the barstard fixed in and working by now.......

Cut cable in void above.
    Drop a new run down the wall.
    Join original run to new drop to shower using one of these -
    http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Images/Products/size3/AAJB60.JPG

Submit invoice, get paid, start van and ferk off.

What's the problem?

Cor blimey! Is it any wonder that I don't bother with this rubbish here any more?

TT