Yet another shower question???

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Leoric, Jan 31, 2007.

1. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Mr. Handyandy

Re: Yet another shower question???
    Posted: Feb 8, 2007 8:51 PM Reply

Well, thankyou NT.

Though it should not have to come to this.

What you have now said SHOULD have them streaming in
    with apologies, but as per usual, well who cares.

The sad thing is that all these 'experts' know diddly
    squat, and can't be told ANYTHING.

I even posted a link to a shower showing the exact
    way it would be wired.

The hole is in the top(for top entry supply).

The channel goes straight down and out again.

In the back/side/bottom, there are holes in those
    positions and they are blanked off.

Will they see it now ? Don't hold your breath.

For Einsteinsint.... 'bas', is 'ban-all-sheds'.(You
    may have heard of him - he once had credibility on
    here)

> Handy the cable is fed from the back & runs down to
    to the top connecter block or you can run it up to
    the bottom of the connector block that is what top
    entry means or bottom. Where is the water channel? &
    why would any one want to bend thick wires in a unit?
    That photo of the shower exposed has a connecter
    block with 4 screws this is for cable entry from the
    top or bottom. You need help.

MOONSHINE. Tis you that needs help.

Now listen up, and listen good.

The cable comes in at the top(the top of the unit close to the wall).

It goes down a channel that is separate from every other part of the unit. it has nothing in it except the supply cable that enters it. It could have water POURED in it if you wished, its safe.

The cable bends at the bottom and into next channel and up to terminals.

THE TERMINAL HAS 4 SCREWS. You noticed.

TWO supply and two out to load(see the picture has cables removed for clarity). Think about it.

The terminals are not in the channel where the entry cable comes in.

If you wanted to extend the supply cable by 4 inches. you would have to make a join in the entry channel which is PURPOSELY NOT SEALED BECAUSE IT ONLY CONTAINS SHEATHED CABLE.

Bottom entry cable does not use that channel, because it comes in at the bottom.

IS THIS CLEAR ? IT IS DESIGNED FOR EXACTLY WHAT I AM DESCRIBING.

Give it up. It's true.

Mr. HandyAndy - really

2. Guest

don't know what I'm going to do with all these apologies that are forthcoming

Forgive me Handy for I have sinned

fooman - really

3. Clark Kent

Clark Kent New Member

Acrimony..

Don't you just love it..

:)

4. Nicky Tesla

Nicky Tesla New Member

either the're just winding you up Andy or they have never fitted a shower in thier lives could be either...I bet that Moaning Mooney hasn't even had a bath

5. r2d2

r2d2 New Member

Hi all. I want to fit 8.5KW shower in a particular position on tiled wall - but the cable coming out of tiles is 4 inch too short. I wanted to buy suitably rated terminal block (and use with spare Twin&Earth 6mm2 cable of 4inch+) to join cable to shower temninal block? Now, is this allowed (providing connections well secure) or am I forced to replace cable entirley?

Had this problem before. Just broke some tiles a little further up and raised the height of the unit.
    Worked a treat.

6. Guest

Had this problem before. Just broke some tiles a little further up and raised the height of the unit.
    Worked a treat.

Now you tell us !....B-)

7. Clark Kent

Clark Kent New Member

There's nothing you can do that can't be done.
    Nothing you can shower that can't be wired.
    Nothing you can say but you can learn how to play the game
    It's easy.
    There's nothing you can make that can't be made.
    No one you can save that can't be saved.
    Nothing you can do but you can learn how to be in time
    It's easy.
    All you need is a shower, all you need is a shower,
    All you need is a shower, shower, shower is all you need.
    There's nothing you can know that isn't known.
    Nothing you can see that isn't shown.
    Nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be.
    It's easy.
    All you need is a shower(all together now)
    All you need is a shower (everybody)
    All you need is a shower, all you need is a shower

;)

8. Mr. Handyandy

It ain't what you do it's the way that you do it,
    And that's what gets results.......

:)

Mr. HandyAndy - really

9. Perfect end to a rather long drawn out simple question.

Nice one.

Until the next time, and I`d rather hear it to the tune of Achy Breaky Heart myself but thats another topic.

10. MOONSHINE

MOONSHINE New Member

I just checked this post before I hit the sack. You are so thick handy. The cable can not run pass the heating unit & come up. The cable goes in the top of the terminals for top back entry. There is no channel. To the left is the seal for the front cover. Every one look at the link & tells me I’m wrong. & get rid of your other user name Nicky Tesla will you.

11. What about old Mr Springstien?

Cant start a fire without a Spark?

Nighty

12. Mr. Handyandy

I just checked this post before I hit the sack. You
    are so thick handy. The cable can not run pass the
    heating unit & come up. The cable goes in the top of
    the terminals for top back entry. There is no
    channel. To the left is the seal for the front cover.
    Every one look at the link & tells me I’m wrong. &
    get rid of your other user name Nicky Tesla will you.

MOONSHINE. Stop it. You are not listening. Read my post with the link in it again.

The bit that the terminals is on, is halfway between the back and the front. The cable comes in from the top(hole at top, wall edge) BEHIND that piece that the terminals are on. This is the separate channel.

If you are too thick to see it, I cannot help you. Indeed, no-one can.

Mr. HandyAndy - really

13. Clark Kent

Clark Kent New Member

Had this problem before. Just broke some tiles a
    little further up and raised the height of the unit.
    Worked a treat.

Now you tell us !....B-)

14. Sherlock Ohms

Sherlock Ohms New Member

So, after literally hundreds of posts of ****-taking that Handy has endured, he has proved himself right.

Well done Handy, you deserve an apology. Especially off the chancers who knew nothing but stuck the boot in.

(Well done Fooman for having the balls to admit wrong.)

15. MRWONG006

MRWONG006 New Member

Well you lot have had a busy night in here Hi Handypandy I have just got back from the Ale house So you are the one that wants to put a cable in the top of the unit. Let me tell you it goes in the back top of the unit. You can’t go drilling holes in the top.
    & you don’t have a water channel. You are wrong having a go at these men in here & you are wrong in what you say--- says MRWONG. A cable just runs inside the unit. End of story you talk jackanory.

MRWONG---REALLY

16. MRWONG006

MRWONG006 New Member

Just one more thing before I go go there are no water tight compartments in the shower to protect the cable. You ware saying you bend the cable so the water runs off it very funny just like you are. A shower unit is compact it can be tight running a 6mm 10mm cable in it at the best of times. Your shower must be 1ft wide.

17. Ant1981

Ant1981 New Member

Moony, pandy will be pandy I'm afraid. The non-electrician who thinks he is an electrician.

If you want a real laugh, why not ask him what the resistance of his shower is?

I'm wondering if there is a water channel in my consumer unit? Water channel, the funniest thing I've ever heard. All over the inside of a shower, there are connections, on the heating can and bits on one side and the other side the switch etc. How can water be allowed to run in any of that, where there are electrical connections?

Crazy, from banging nails into carpets, telling us rubbish about the resistance of an element which defies ohm law to making a hash of himself again, saying that water can flow where there are unprotected connections.

Pandy, pillock boy, follow this link

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a3/ant1981/Showernocover-07-06-2004.jpg

That is a Triton T80Si, please show me where the water channel is amongst all of those electrical connections. This is a high res photo. I look forward to reading your backward peddles upon my return from work.

Good day to one and all :)

18. Plumbersam

Plumbersam New Member

Another day another buck dudes.
    Post are longer then the other site i'm with you lot going for the world record?

Just need to put you dudes straight here.

The part that the supply cable terminals are on is midway between the back and the front of the unit. The cable entry hole is at the back of the unit. The cable enters the hole, goes down behind the terminal panel, bends at the bottom, and up to the terminals.

The top entry hole is not sealed, nor is it designed to be sealed, nor is it necessary to seal it, as the onlt thing in that cahannel is fully sheathed cable. You will see that if water enters this channel, it may run down the cable and anywhere it likes at the bottom.

Now. I say, you CANNOT put an unprotected join ANYWHERE on the cable, as it would have to be in the channel behind the terminals where water is allowed to enter and exit.

If you think you can now STILL say I'm wrong, you are not only mistaken, but completely inapt at your profession(alleged profession).

No need to apologise, just take it on the chin, and keep learning.

An' another one gone, an' another one gone.....

Mr. HandyAndy - really

A dude you say the entry hole is not designed to be sealed so you are saying water can run inside the box & out through the bottom how strange dude.

The cable comes in at the top(the top of the unit close to the wall).

It goes down a channel that is separate from every other part of the unit. it has nothing in it except the supply cable that enters it. It could have water POURED in it if you wished, its safe.

The cable bends at the bottom and into next channel and up to terminals.

THE TERMINAL HAS 4 SCREWS. You noticed.

TWO supply and two out to load(see the picture has cables removed for clarity). Think about it.

The terminals are not in the channel where the entry cable comes in.

If you wanted to extend the supply cable by 4 inches. you would have to make a join in the entry channel which is PURPOSELY NOT SEALED BECAUSE IT ONLY CONTAINS SHEATHED CABLE.

A dude if you poor water in the box it will go everywhere nothing in the box protects the cable from water dude.

The photo you showed have a look again dude. I don't never come in from the top but if a customer said you do it I would run the cable down remove the feed replace with the supply & put the feed under neath into the block.

look to the right of the terminal you can strip back the white sheath to expose a few inches of cable & run it in between the terminal block & the heat tank then try to bend the cable up I don't like this way it puts strain on the block & cable the cable wants to pull out when it's like this. i always come in from the bottom. Sometimes you have to use a hacksaw on the plastic to cut out for piping You make the holes yourself. It's just 4 cables in the block. If you want you can move the block & wire no big deal.

Have a nice day all. Busy out there.

19. Plumbersam

Plumbersam New Member

I don't like stripping to much white sheaf off of a cable less protection know what I mean. See you dudes.

20. MOONSHINE

MOONSHINE New Member

This is like jade goodie going international Chinese & the Americans are in lol.