Yet more anti-gas scare stories...

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by BiancoTheGiraffe, Sep 14, 2022.

1. BiancoTheGiraffe

BiancoTheGiraffe Screwfix Select

2. techie

techie Screwfix Select

Well, I’m no Gas “engineer” just a person with an engineering degree. Having said that, and I’m not defending the content of the link-, stands to reason that products from gas combustion must be in the kitchen…..Dunno if they’re injurious to health tho

3. BiancoTheGiraffe

Of course, but when switched off?!

Cliff Rees likes this.
  4. techie

techie Screwfix Select

Ahhh, you are quite correct…sorry….

5. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

What a load of codswallop! Anything to push the agenda!

Cliff Rees and Astramax like this.
  6. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

Wow....................well it is the Daily Fail, so is almost certain to be full of bulls droppings. And yet again in this case the whole article is bulls droppings........................move on, nothing to see there.

Cliff Rees and Hell68 like this.
  7. Hell68

Hell68 Active Member

As above. Its the daily mail! Secondly its an article in the USA.

Cliff Rees likes this.
  8. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

We have an extractor over our gas hob. To generate enough pollutants to cause issues you would need to run all of the burners all of the time, as for a gas hob giving off pollutants when it's off, that is fake news, if it does, their is something wrong with it and it needs fixing.

Cliff Rees likes this.
  9. quasar9

quasar9 Screwfix Select

The Daily fail and most red tops carry what borders on fake news, designed to scare the reader. Years ago the scientific community decided to examine in detail a study that showed heath issues of some sweetener (I think it was saccharine, which has largely fallen out of use). In this study , rats were fed this sweetener and sure enough they developed health issues. Papers like DM ran this story , gleefully quoting that research was from some well known Uni and therefore implying it must be true.

Only when the scientists decided to closely examine the data closely did the truth came out. Sure the rats developed issues, but they were being fed a few % of their body weight. That was equivalent of an 80kg person taking between 800 and 1600 gms of sweetener a day.

1.6kg of lard, potatoes or even beans a day won’t do you any good either.

10. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Tbf, most newspapers, wether broad or narrow push BS articles.

11. BiancoTheGiraffe

They certainly do, the Guardian is a prime example! Only difference between them and the Mail, is that the Mail doesn't constantly claim to be neutral and unbiased!

rogerk101 and CGN like this.
  12. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

oh the holier than thou Guardian. The only benefit of such a paper is that it will light a few more fires.

rogerk101 and Jord86 like this.
  13. sparky steve

sparky steve Screwfix Select

If you don’t read the newspaper, you are uninformed. If you do read the newspaper, you are misinformed.
    Possibly the only true fact printed on a newspaper is the date?

14. quasar9

quasar9 Screwfix Select

Well put !

15. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

The basic rule of most journalism is 'Never let the truth get in the way of a good story'. :)

CGN, BiancoTheGiraffe and rogerk101 like this.
  16. Rick1632

Rick1632 Active Member

I'm a chemist. I saw this report a couple of years ago and thought it was a load of rubbish, but looked into it, and unfortunately it's at least partially true. Not sure about the turned off bit - that's not really chemically possible as the nitrogen oxides are generated by combustion.

https://www.vox.com/energy-and-envi...ove-cooking-indoor-air-pollution-health-risks

Edit - Ah the off thing is hydrocarbon leakages which is sure to happen to a tiny extent, especially methane. But as with all things, it's the dose that makes the poison - there's no evidence this occurs at a level sufficient to be a threat though so they're definitely scaremongering here.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2022
  17. quasar9

quasar9 Screwfix Select

I was not sure if the issue was PM2.5 or oxides of nitrogen. However, I always though NOX needed higher pressures than open burning at atmospheric pressures. Like those found in internal combustion engines where cold pressure is around 40bar with pressure rising during combustion.