You either loved her or you hated her!

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by Mr. Handyandy, Apr 10, 2013.

1. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Marmite Thatcher.

2. diymostthings

diymostthings Well-Known Member

I really don't see how anyone who split the countrie's opinion in such a devisive way should be celebrated as a hero. The mark of a hero politition is someone who unites the country not divides it. When John Smith (labour leader) died he was (almost) universally liked. He didn't get a state funeral.

diymostthings

3. proby

proby Active Member

Name something he did

4. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

diymostthings.. Would you consider Winston Churchill a great statesman who united the country?
    Answer is more than likely yes.. Do a bit of research and find out what he wanted to do to miners during the General Strike  ;)
    (here's a clue,,, wall, line up against, shoot. )

5. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

edited by tom.plum for inapropiate content,

6. joinerjohn1

Tomp.... I might be going to Georgia Browns in Hindley, this Saturday night. Just waiting for confirmation of an old friend's band playing there. Will let you know either on here or via text.
    Cheers JJ
    ;)

Edit,, just confirmed Tomp. Can you reccomend any B&B's nearby to Hindley. Had a look on't interwebthingy and there's one near Bolton called the Mercury.  or the Britannia Hotel Wigan. Both sound cheap. (but are they cheap and nasty??

7. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

Hi JJ, I dunno bowt the one in Bolton, the Brittania is a good hotel, but its about a £10/15 taxi fare from hindley, you might be better booking in
    http://www.premierinn.com/en/hotel/WIGWHE/wigan-m6,-j25, I don't know how the cost will compare  Its still a £8/10 taxi fare from hindley, I will come along to meet you, but mrs plum has other engagements and i don't want to play gooseberry all night, so I'll just pop along for an hour to say hello and have a drink with you,

8. joinerjohn1

Cheers Tomp. I look forward to meeting you mate. Yes had a look at the Britannia. On a map, it's only about 3 or 4 miles away. Are taxi's expensive in Wigan then ??
    ;)

Edit. Missus has had a look and the Mercury hotel at Westhoughton seems fine with her. it's just about 3 miles away from't pub, so a taxi shouldn't be too much (just had another look at a map and the Brittania is a bit further away. Anyrode, I'll be booking the hotel tomorrow when I get home from work (and tell work I don't want called out this weekend as I'll be away) . Just sorting the mutt out now looks like me daughter's going to be lumbered with him (well she's offered)  So we're looking forward to the first ever Screwfix Meet.

9. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

you're probably right about the mecury being the closest, and its a easier to get to, both the other two involve going throu wigan town centre , Hindleys expensive by taxi because there no easy way in or out to/from wigan, there only 2 rodes in and they're both chocker anytime of day, So the mercury's  defo your best bet for taxi fares,

10. joinerjohn1

Cheers Tomp, Hotel Mercury just booked. Hope to arrive there around 5-6 pm, grab something to eat then probably order a taxi around half sevenish, so I can have a word with my old manager, before he starts playing. The group's called Slyder btw and have some good reviews in't North West.  See ya soon  Tomp. ;)
    PS one of me neighbours has offered to look after our dog for the night, so he's alright. ;)

11. joinerjohn1

Hey up Tompus, dunna forget termorra neet like, n'all , up't Georgia Browns in't Indley tha knerrs. Ah'll be werrin miu best pit bowts (the'll be shinnin lik't sun abroad). Ah'll be puttin on me sunday best pinstripe suite n'all. Dunno abaht missus thow. Shey might weer that outfit she ad fer't big neet out at't club , thotty year agow, else ahh might splash out on a new t shot frem Asdars (them smart preeced ones, 3 fer a quid)
    Anyrode, Ah'll si thee tomorrer neet like. Ah'll weer a daffodil frem't neebours garden in mi buttonhole so ye'll recognise me. ;)

12. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

I'll be homer simon, and you'll be Mr B**ns;)

13. joinerjohn1

Excellent.. Release the hounds.

14. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

just been informed wigan are playing Milwall in the FA cup final, So i don't know how how thats gonna affect any drunken football fan activity n the town, all i can say is , keep ya power dry,

15. clive holland

clive holland New Member

I would appreciate the opportunity to meet with you both ,I`ll be in manchester this weekend (tv work) so myself and the crew will drop in for a drink with my screwfix pals,the boys love a bit of live music joinerjohn.Found the boozer online, market street be about 7pm when we get there.will know tomp from his youtube fame,lets hope its a good night. cheers clive.

16. joinerjohn1

Well Clive we'll know you as soon as you walk in the door. It'll go dark. Dunna forget to bring some rich widows with you, who need plumbing and joinery doing though (although make sure they're young widows, under 40 preferable, but 50 at a push)

17. surfermick

surfermick New Member

youve forgotten "indifference" what about "indifference" ?

18. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

you should know better than most how the camera makes you look fatter Clive, bearing that in mind and the fact I'll be out of uniform ( no bob cap or padded jacket) so picking me out in a crowded pub may not be as easy as you think, I had thought of waering a rose in my lapel pocket, but on reflection, thats not a good idea in the 'gay bashing' town of Hindley.Its best to not smile in Hindley if you have front teeth, the natives will thnk you are a cat walk model, I once dropped my glasses in Hindley and one lence smashed, I had to have it boarded up till Monday morning, You'll be ok though Clive a big lad like you won't get picked on till about 10 ish when the northern beer kicks in and everyone goes from dancing mode to fightin' mode,The pub formally know as the flying ashtray was renamed after the smoking ban to Georgia browns to give it a new image and encourage a more mature and resonsible clientelle, It did't work but at least the chance of being hit in the face with a ash tray has become less of a risk, Don't be put off by the old age tradition of the doormen throwing drinkers in the canal, Its a custom of the area and is protected by a law passed in parliment to preserve the cultures of northwest lancashire, If you want to join in thia custom, just stand around acting like a man with short arms and deep pockets and you will be obliged, however if you buy a few drinks you will be excused the initiation,
    anyrode till this evening si thi later,:)

19. joinerjohn1

Well Tomp, got back ok Bloody windy on't motorway though. You missed a great night. Clive did turn up, but the bouncers wouldn't let him in .They said he looked a bit to refined to be allowed in.  By heck ain't the taxi's up there expensive ? £8 to get to the pub and a tenner to get back. Were only about 4 mile away n'all, BUT,,, Ain't beer cheap in't pubs? 2 pints for only £5.25p. That's cheaper than our club :eek: Anyrode. The lasses up that way are very buxom ( I have to say)  Ahh din't know where to look next. Place were heavin wi totty (not one under 36DD) Bah eck, missus kept giving me "the look"
    The group were excellent. playing all sorts of rock and some blues numbers and I had a good natter with my old manager.
    Anyway Tomp, I hope the missus's auntie is much recovered after her fall. We'll no doubt arrange another time to meet up. I'll have to bring my keyboard up so we can record summat together for posterity. ;)

20. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

yes we like cheap beer JJ, at my local its £1.98 for carlsberg, mrs plums aunty's been kept in hospital to do some tests, she's not broke anything just bruised and shocked, but can't remember why she fell, apparently she laying for some while before her nieghbour popped in to check, she's 86 but normally active and lives alone, there's talk of her needing care, she won't be happy about that, she's a stubburn ole bird, but anyrode thats one for social services,
    mrs plum was supposed to go on a neet out with her mates, its been arranged for ages as an old friend has come over from austailia,
    anyrode I'm glad you liked the local totty, its the babies yeds thats gives them the rounded look and they like to flaunt it, Its espeially good in the town centre bars where they are packed in tight, you can't help but squash up against them as you struggle to the bar, the trouble with that is, later on the trouble starts in the town centre pubs, so its better to move into the quieter bars before sundown, That bar were you went is a newly reburbished pub and its probably the best pub in Hindley,
    reet so I'll get ready and go hospital visiting this afternoon, there's no fun in getting owd tha kneeers,