You guys are going to laugh at this but.......

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by nakedterry, Dec 19, 2005.

1. nakedterry

nakedterry New Member

I was putting laminate down at the weekend (one single piece throught the entire ground floor!!) and I wanted to insulate it.
    I couldnt stretch to the expensive foil backed stuff so I laid the cheap B&Q white foam underlay and went to the pound shop and bought some rolls of 40 foot tin foil and laid that on top and then laid the laminate.
    Worked a treat.
    Anyone think this was a good/bad idea?

Commence the pee taking.

2. nigel

nigel Guest

The foam was all that was needed , the foil a waste of money.

3. nakedterry

nakedterry New Member

Foam does not reflect radiant heat though, does it. Otherwise what is the point of putting it on loft insulation, duplex p/board, radiator foil, etc, etc, etc.

4. Gusset

Gusset New Member

I might be wrong but...radiant heat is 'reflected', so the heat travels through the air and is bounced back by the foil - OK for lofts, rads etc where there is an air gap. Directly under your laminate with no air gap the issue would be conducted heat which the polystyrene would handle much better, as it does not allow the heat to travel from one side to another.
    Long time since my physics A-level though ;)

5. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

They do sell the foil stuff for under floors though I think, so can't see why it shouldn't work?

6. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

the main use of foil on foam underlay is as a dpm!

7. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

don't think it can do any harm and you might have enough left for your turkey on sunday!!!!!!!!!

8. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Doesn't it make 'crinkly' noises under the laminate when you walk over it ?

Mr. Handyandy - really

9. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

dunno about that but i bet the house is roasting!

10. gazza2

gazza2 New Member

and it will make do a a faraday cage,try out a mobile phone abd watch the signal drop

11. gadget man

gadget man Screwfix Select

and it will make do a a faraday cage

What about a Budgie cage?

12. Northwest gas svc's

Northwest gas svc's New Member

all that tin foil ?? does it need earthing , ha ha hope your part p registered

13. nakedterry

nakedterry New Member

1. Your physics are correct - the underlay will stop conduction of the heat away from the room.
    2. There has not been any noticable change in phone signal - it was bad to begin with.
    3. It doesnt make any noise when you walk on it, suprisingly
    4. I have loads left for the turkey
    5. Dont know about roasting but it is warmer!
    6. As for earthing, I did get a few shocks when sliding around on the laminate and then touching the foil, but it is completely covered now so that cant happen.

I covered about 20m2 in foam and foil for about £10. Compare that to the real stuff (Foil Tec Floor Insulation 1000mm x 50M at £125), who's laughing now?

14. Boff

Boff New Member

I only pay 50p per square metre for foil backed underlay anyway - no idea what retail price is?