You're replacin a basin...

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by 2520years, Dec 17, 2008.

1. 2520years

2520years New Member

I've fitted a couple of basins, but there's something that I've never found a satisfactory answer to. Here is the situation I've got, with the wall on the right:

[img=http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/1588/image058dp3.th.jpg]

What I'd expect is a flexible 32mm connector to be available that'll join this up. The one I've used before...

http://www.screwfix.com/search.do;jsessionid=CVFMXJNERAHRYCSTHZPCFFQ?_dyncharset=UTF-8&fhsearch=32mmadjustable&searchbutton.x=0&searchbutton.y=0&searchbutton=submit

...is just too big.

I think I might be missing something (answers on a postcard please!) Is there anyone out there that can help? Is there a smaller flexible connector?

Thanks in advance.
    Andy

2. Stench

Stench Member

You need to try a different trap.
    Either a telescopic adjustable or 'all one' P trap.
    Merchants will know what you mean.
    Think one of these will solve yur problem.

3. 2520years

2520years New Member

Thanks Stench. I tried a telescopic bottle trap but it wouldn't go high enough either. Maybe the basin's slightly lower compared to the old one, I don't know if there's supposed to be a standard height.

Since you replied I've tried to find an 'all one' P trap on a few websites but I can't find one. I'll have to ask at Grahams.

Cheers.

4. rome60

rome60 New Member

2520,1 32mm cap & lining + 3 - 90 elbows is what you need think about it.

5. 2520years

2520years New Member

Thanks.

As I said, I've got round this before, but thought there should be an easy solution because it must happen a lot.

I think in this case there were tiles on the floor before, but they've been replaced with lino, so the basin is a bit lower.

In the end I put an extension piece (from toolstation) on the 'p' trap at the outlet end. It was an inch longer and matched well enough to be water tight. It's the easiest solution I've come up with so far, but thanks for your answers.

6. mully123

mully123 New Member

Cut an inch off the chrome basin waste?

7. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

Planning...measure before you fit the basin. Adjustable traps are good to.

8. doing a bit

doing a bit New Member

what you need is a low inlet P trap . mc alpine make one, its unusual but perfect for the job you have, have a look in the catalogue its a BT3

9. 2520years

2520years New Member

That's exactly what I had in mind, but couldn't find one. Toolstation stock McAlpine but not this item.

Thanks doing a bit.

10. RASP-GRASP

RASP-GRASP New Member

Lift the basin,i e ,plinth or drop the waste through wall, plumbing isnt all push this , flex that. you think you are putting value on your property, or save a bob or two, but if you dont do a proper job it knocks value off.

11. doing a bit

doing a bit New Member

Thanks doing a bit.

dont mention toolstation on here !! :)