Zinsser B-I-N

Discussion in 'Getting Started FAQ' started by Garry Keron, Feb 14, 2021.

1. Garry Keron

Garry Keron New Member

I’ve painted the wood panels in my bathroom with this primer/sealer. Does anyone know how long I should wait before I can use the shower again?

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Well that's a new one!:confused::confused::confused:o_O.

The clue is in the product title..primer sealer it is not a finishing paint.

3. Garry Keron

Garry Keron New Member

I’ll not have time to apply the finishing paint right away so wondered if I can go ahead and use the shower in the meantime?

4. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

I’m guessing that the wood panels aren’t in the shower ?

So what your concerned about is allowing steam to build up in the room when the panels are only primed and not fully painted at this stage ?

Have I got the gist of your question ?

5. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Maybe

6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

If so, no immediate problem, ventilation would be a good idea. Question was a little vague like me.:rolleyes:

7. Garry Keron

Garry Keron New Member

Yes you have. The ceiling above the shower is wood and has been primed.

8. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Sometimes reading through these posts, you have to do a bit of part-time detective work and think further than just the words on the screen

I never considered the wood panels were inside the shower !

Is there an extractor fan in bathroom and if so, does this usually clear the steam or do you tend to get droplets of water forming on ceiling and walls ?

Either way, will be fine, just give the panels a wipe over before you continue to paint but depending on what topcoat you’re using, the panelling may or may not need to be totally dry

Hopefully the primer should seal against steam getting past in the meantime

9. Garry Keron

Garry Keron New Member

Thanks very much Dave. The wood had been varnished many years ago!

10. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

What are you intending to use as a finish paint.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2021
  11. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

A few years back did a job painting where the whole bathroom was clad in the 1970s with tongue and groove pine to the walls and ceiling. Painted BIN all over followed by 2 costs of Dulux Trade Diamond eggshell to finish.

12. Garry Keron

Garry Keron New Member

Ha ha, that’s exactly what I’d done in the early nineties. Been sick of it for years. Thanks for the heads up re the paint finish