Zone Valve Wiring

Discussion in 'Eco Talk' started by diymechanicalguy, Jul 24, 2018.

1. diymechanicalguy

diymechanicalguy New Member

Hi all - new here and just looking for some generic advice on wiring up some zone valves.
    I'm looking to use something similar to this: https://tameson.com/electric-ball-v...ric-ball-valve-1inch-2-way-12vdc-3-point.html

I believe zone valves usually have a limit switch, or something similar, to detect when the valve is fully open to then turn on the pump/boiler to send the water. Since this valve doesn't have that, and a 16s delay, should I just set a timer in my thermometer to turn on the pump/boiler after 16 seconds from the signal to the valve? Should I add more than 16 seconds?

Thanks in advance.

2. Mike83

Mike83 Well-Known Member

Wouldn't it be easier and cheaper to just fit a normal zone valve.

Link not working.

3. diymechanicalguy

diymechanicalguy New Member

What would you classify as a "normal zone valve"? Not all of them have these limit switches and I'm not sure if you consider it "normal" to have them. Can you give a link? Thanks!

Sorry for the bad link, here it is a better one: https://tameson.co.uk/applications/central-heating/

4. Peterdevon

Peterdevon Active Member

Honeywell or Danfoss or other normal 2 port valves all have a make on open switch in them

5. MGW

MGW Well-Known Member

I would question whole idea of a zone valve. Modern central heating boilers are analogue the flame height alters according to demand, and are designed to work with analogue thermostatic radiator valves (TRV) which can have heads swapped for electronic types which have more accurate temperature control and built in timers.

These eTRV can connect to a central thermostat which uses an analogue connection to the boiler to control output for example Opentherm.

So why would anyone want to use a digital motorised valve in an analogue system? Seems a backwards step. Why spit into zones with all the hard wiring required rather than heat each room independently with a WiFi system? Zone valves are rather an old idea pre the condensating boiler, because the new boiler must work analogue the rest has to also work analogue, gone are the old on/off thermostats.

Cwt likes this.