zone valves

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by dappa uk, Aug 5, 2005.

1. dappa uk

dappa uk New Member

Hi

Just Installed all my radiators in my house. Because of the size of my property i have decided it would have been better to have 3 seperate heating zones connected up to a system boiler and a high recovery pressure cylinder.

How may zone valves would be needed as i have been advised a standard 3 port valve would be best .

Many thanks for any advice/replies.

2. doitall

doitall New Member

3. dappa uk

dappa uk New Member

Thanks doitall for the image and reply.

So based on the picture I should go for 3 2 port zone valves for my heating system and 1 2 port zone valve for my DHW. Would you say this correct or do you recommend the use of 3 port valves as i have read these can be problematic. Thanks in advance.

4. doitall

doitall New Member

with multiple zones 3port are not so good as 2port.

as I said it depends on what you're trying to achieve.

you will need the bye-pass valve though.

5. mrj

mrj New Member

Just want to point out that a pressurised water cylinder MUST have its own 2 port zone valve wired through the cylinder over heat and thermostat. Also make sure that your boiler has a built in overhaet cut out switch as standard, required under regs for unvented hot water.

Martin

6. dappa uk

dappa uk New Member

Hi thanks to all for the advice.

What would be a fair price for the installation of a system boiler and a high recovery cylinder. I have been quoted around a 1000 pounds excluding the electrical side of the installation.
    Any advice tips appreciated as always.

7. Stoday

Stoday New Member

for simplicity use a multi-chanel programer

I wouldn't do that. I'd use a programmable thermostat to control each zone. Each thermostat controls its corresponding 2-port valve and each valve has a switch that is wired in parallel with the other zones to switch the boiler on.

8. doitall

doitall New Member

Don't know where you got the price from but it ain't enough.

What does it include :O

9. mrj

mrj New Member

Have to agree on the prgarammable room stat for each zone,this is now the RECOMMENDED way to do it under part L1 etc. If you use wireless ones then you have more play in the positions use choose. You might at a later date want to move the stat 150mm sideways for a new piece of furniture of picture, far more difficult with a wired one. Also, think of all the wiring you save on.

Martin

10. doitall

doitall New Member

Agree stoday if you can find a sparkie that can wire them and get it to work.

Any time we get complicated we have to do a line drawing for the electrician to follow.

Thats why I said simplicity

11. Stoday

Stoday New Member

Don't know where you got the price from but it ain't
    enough.

Agreed, doitall, that price is way under.

12. dappa uk

dappa uk New Member

Hi. Thanks for all the replies.

With regards to the boiler and cylinder installation. The price Of 1000 pounds does not include the fitting of radiators or pipe work or any electrical wiring.

Thanks for replies and tips regardless.

13. dappa uk

dappa uk New Member

when you say multi-chanel programer do you mean 7 day programmer ??? sorry im not familer with the industry terms.

Thanks in advance.

14. doitall

doitall New Member

With regards to the boiler and cylinder installation.
    The price Of 1000 pounds does not include the fitting
    of radiators or pipe work or any electrical wiring.

Shouldn't think it includes the boiler or cylinder either :O

Multi-channel programmer if you look closly at the pic enables each zone to be progammed seperately, the two programmers in the pic are both 3 channels, or 6 zones

15. r2d2.

r2d2. New Member

I would opt for the multi channel programmer.
    A heating zone in a large property may include several rooms. Programmable room stats have their place ,but not for controlling zones. They don't have a boost facility either .

16. Stoday

Stoday New Member

Programmable thermostats don't need a boost because you can set different temperatures at different times, all as part of the programming.

At the end of the day, you have to have a thermostat somewhere. You put it in the most typical room of the zone and balance the rads in other rooms of the same zone in the usual way.