Zoning heating system

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by mark rose, Dec 10, 2004.

1. mark rose

mark rose New Member

Hi i just about to repipe my heating system i am considering splitinghte upstirs and downstairs into 2 zones. iwas going to put a 2 way valve on both circuits. do i need to put it on both the flow and return or just one. so from boiler to a t piece then a zone valve on each then off to upstairs and downstairs. could the return from both be on the same pipe or does this need valve as well.
    I am going to wire so boiler and pump won't come on unless ther is a least one zone open.
    i was then going to fit time switches to each valve.

Mark

2. mark rose

mark rose New Member

Just thought can this be done with a port valve. can these be set to outout 1 or 2 and them both, this would simplyfy piping

Mark

3. devil's advocate

devil's advocate New Member

Excellent idea, Mark.

Splitting into two zones is as straight forward as you think.

You only need to fit the 2-port motorised valves on the flows; the returns just tee together.

I'd strongly recommend programmable thermostats to control the valves; fit one upstairs and one down. You can then set them to give you the <u>temps</u> you want at the <u>times</u> you want in each area - they are fantastic.

The valves have microswitches built into them so that they send a switching live signal to the boiler only when they have fully opened.

I guess a single 3-port valve could be used instead; they are commonly used to control the CH and DHW in a system, so I can't see why they couldn't do two CH systems instead.

My system has two 2-port valves each operated by prog stats as described above, so I know it works!

4. doitall

doitall New Member

Maybe a good idea.

More info on the system is required before you go sticking zone valves in.

Is it an open vented system or sealed system.

Sticking valves on the flow could produce a dangerous situation by cutting of the cold feed and vent for starters.

5. bathstyle

bathstyle Active Member

You could always put trv's on the system instead this will give you a zone in each room...just an idea

6. doitall

doitall New Member

You could always put trv's on the system instead this
    will give you a zone in each room...just an idea

and an ABP.

7. bathstyle

bathstyle Active Member

ABP?? Something by pass??

8. doitall

doitall New Member

Auto, :)

would be needed if you fit TRV to all the rads.

9. bathstyle

bathstyle Active Member

I know its needed but what is an auto by pass?

Normally I would put lockshields on one rad or link up primary f + R with lockshield G.V

10. doitall

doitall New Member

http://www.danfoss-randall.co.uk/default.asp?strSearchResult=tem1019.asp?intPage=1008|intLang=2|strLang=en|intLevel=2|intLevel2ID=1008

11. bathstyle

bathstyle Active Member

Ahhh. Clever stuff.

Bit rusty on the old heating systems ..thanks for that one

12. doitall

doitall New Member

LS valves don't actually meet regs anymore.