Air source heat pump installation?

Discussion in 'Eco Talk' started by Alan22, May 18, 2023.

1. Alan22

Alan22 Screwfix Select

There is definitely something political in it because it would solve pretty major economic problems with that one change, it would save millions from unsustainable energy bills next winter and meet their green quota's into the bargain in one seriously impressive move.
    As it is the energy companies are making a fortune out of people who are struggling to pay something that is fundamentally unfair.

2. Alan22

Alan22 Screwfix Select

Do you mean like Nadhim Zahawi receiving more than £1m from fossil fuel companies? or the 43 members of the House of Lords that have a financial stake in the oil and gas industry?

3. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

That might possibly affect one's judgement when considering the legislation that affects the contributor. On another related subject, did you see the programme on the TV last night about heat pumps, looks like we are all in for a very rough ride, not enough electricity, no means of getting it to the customer (National Grid not fit for purpose) and not enough installers for heat pumps unless you want to wait 40 years. Carbon Zero? It's not going to happen other than on a spreadsheet.

4. quasar9

quasar9 Screwfix Select

This from BBC’s Justin Rowland, chief priest of global warming brigade. Previously pushed ASHP as the one and only way (enforced by legislation) but now suddenly back pedalling perhaps now come to realisation that the challenges are enormous and perhaps unachievable for a country that hates any form of new infrastructure. But this was nothing new for us here on the forum as we have fully discussed the demands on the infrastructure.

As a start,

1. Renewable electricity should be priced at around 10p rather than 34p KW/h.
    2. Every town centre should have a 1000 space multi-storey car park with a 50kw dc charger in every bay. Councils should have funding reduced if they don’t comply. City the size of london should have around 500 of these.
    3. Ditto service stations on motorways in A roads. Ditto every train station, hospitals and park and ride. All should have a fixed charge tariff no more than 10% higher than a domestic tariff.

4. Supermarkets given automatic permission to build as large a car park as they seem fit providing they fit chargers on every bay.

5. Standards on battery swap technology. Sadly our govt can’t even manage a rollout of smart meters.

5. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

Volvo have developed an electric 23 tonne excavator which is apparently capable of doing a full days work on a single charge. Big heavy batteries in a digger are not a problem of course but how they get charged on a site which is by it's very nature temporary is a 2 fold problem:

1. Getting enough power to site in the first place when the papers are full of the tale of the motorway services with a generator to power the charging points
    2. Getting the power to the digger which may be a long way from the site compound: they don't move very fast

I personally think JCB are on the right track with Hydrogen for plant and agricultural machinery. I help out with harvest on a local farm: yesterday was a short day but the combine ran 8 hours at 100% full output. A normal day would be 12 plus and weight is a major issue

6. Alan22

Alan22 Screwfix Select

I don't think the government understands the process it wants to see happen.

7. quasar9

quasar9 Screwfix Select

That was never in doubt ! To give a balanced view, the opposition or others are not expected to do better :eek:

8. Alan22

Alan22 Screwfix Select

I'm just watching the news about interest rates potentially rising, a lot of people unable to pay mortgages, while they pay inflated energy prices, and I'm thinking it would be hard to find a government as bad at simply protecting people and businesses from being bankrupted by massive profit.

9. WeCanDoIt

WeCanDoIt Member

A warm house causes rot? Quick everyone turn of your boiler

10. WeCanDoIt

WeCanDoIt Member

95%. Incorrect. At least 40% have a c rating or above

11. arrow

arrow Screwfix Select

Could you please quote where I said a warm house causes rot.

12. WeCanDoIt

WeCanDoIt Member

There are millions of houses getting destroyed with this insulation obsession. The houses are getting stuffed with the stuff everywhere and are unable to breathe, causing rot and damage. In not too many years time we will be losing a terrible amount of our older well built housing stock, due to this insulation madness the houses were not designed for.

13. arrow

arrow Screwfix Select

Once again after your post number 72, can you please quote where I said a warm house causes rot.

14. WeCanDoIt

WeCanDoIt Member

I quoted you. That’s what you wrote.

15. arrow

arrow Screwfix Select

I know you quoted me, I asked you to quote me where I said a warm house causes rot, which you have not done. Nowhere in that quote do I say that a warm house causes rot.

16. Alan22

Alan22 Screwfix Select

My house was built in 1882, it's made of sandstone, if it wasn't insulated I would freeze to death bout November, It's now insulated to current newbuild standards, and it also breaths, the miracle of design, it's either that, which is very comfotable, easy to heat and saves a historic building or bulldozed and rebuilt, the world is changing, fuels and energy is changing, solutions are there for the open minded.

17. PhilipBRA

PhilipBRA New Member

Alan ,

hoping you still look here .

I have the same question , my installer has as spec 2 by Mitsubishi cascaded , all the competent YouTubers I come across are installing Vaillant , installer notes he is not happy with Vaillant controls and their customer service .

which did you fit ? assuming Mitsubishi how have you found them , wouldn’t be a south wales installer by any chance ?

18. Alan22

Alan22 Screwfix Select

I'm in Scotland, and I have not found a fitter yet but to be fair I have been working on other things.

19. PhilipBRA

PhilipBRA New Member

Thanks for replying .

20. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

@Alan22 - Have you considered doing what seems to be done in Norway and other Scandi countries, and using Air to Air heat pump? they have exactly the same COP as air to water. Obviously you need to do something else for domestic hot water but that's a much smaller nut to crack than space heating - some A2A systems seem to also provide hot water.... Also no subsidy in the UK for A2A (but the systems are cheaper).

https://www.daikin.co.uk/en_gb/resi...NEjJeIKYwKeFu2VBMNQKKWAazHxi_WR0aArw2EALw_wcB

Alan22 likes this.