Decent Insulated Crimp Terminals

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Pocah, Apr 29, 2024.

1. Pocah

Pocah New Member

These are for 240V, not 12V, and ranging from 3A to 13A.

My first experimentation with crimp terminals was a disaster. I picked up what I now believe to be cheap Chinese insulated terminals that were for 12V.

In general, the gauge for the terminals was way too big and when crimped it was touch and go as to whether the cable was actually gripped.

Secondly, they where really flimsy and bent as soon as you looked at them.

So, my question is, what and where do I need to buy them? I can also use non-insulated, since I can happily insulate them myself.

2. arrow

arrow Screwfix Select

Not a good idea on solid copper, they are ok on stranded.

Ind spark likes this.
  3. Pocah

Pocah New Member

Yes, sorry, this is for stranded.

4. Refuse to Bend

Refuse to Bend Active Member

What type of crimper are you using because no matter what connectors you use if your tool is poor so will the crimps be.

5. Wellwisher

Wellwisher Well-Known Member

They come in different sizes. You got the wrong ones.

6. Ind spark

Ind spark Screwfix Select

LearnMore likes this.
  7. Ind spark

8. Pocah

Pocah New Member

Agreed. I believe that most of the available ones are the wrong size for mains cables, being auto cable size. I think that perhaps I need to size them correctly, which means I need uninsulated.

I sent one like that back. Problem is that most of the cables I am working with are 1mm or less.

9. Ind spark

I think red are 0.5mm to 1.5mm

10. The Happy Builder

The Happy Builder Screwfix Select

11. The Happy Builder

LearnMore likes this.
  12. LearnMore

LearnMore Well-Known Member

13. The Happy Builder

It says in the Sky article:

“Three inches of damaged wire discovered in one of the flat's bedrooms 27 days after the tragedy probably came from the compressor relay compartment, the inquiry heard.”.

I presume the investigation team found the piece of wire and then went looking for where it came from.

LearnMore likes this.
  14. Ind spark

LearnMore likes this.
  15. Ind spark

LearnMore likes this.
  16. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

Bootlace ferrules are totally different. You have a terminal screw or cage clamps the ferrule after being crimped, unlike the inline red, blue and yellow or the spade terminals that push on.

Ind spark and LearnMore like this.
  17. The Happy Builder

I have a £300 10-120 mm hex hand crimping tool in the back of my van and several other smaller tools as well, cheap crimping tools are rarely worth the money paid for them.

Ind spark likes this.
  18. The Happy Builder

My local independent electrical wholesaler have a big crimping tool they lend out free of charge to trusted electricians.

LearnMore likes this.
  19. Ind spark

I've got this one but I wouldn't ever use it for 10mm.

https://www.toolstation.com/hydraulic-hand-held-crimper/p36116

20. The Happy Builder

Going back to that Sky article:

"I found voids in all 80 cross-sections indicating the crimp was not nice and tight," said Dr Glover, a principal engineer at Failure Electrical, a firm which investigates electrical failures.“

In theory it is possible to crimp the cable so tightly there are not any voids, generally referred to as being “gas tight”, but it’s not generally possible with crimps like those used when making fridges, because the thin wall crimps spring slightly open when the tool is removed.

https://knowledge.knipex.com/en/is-gas-tightness-possible-with-ferrules

Ind spark and LearnMore like this.