Simultaneous contact assessment (EV charging)

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by MGW, Apr 29, 2024.

1. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

I watch you tube with the efixx report, and they brought up the on street charging issue, and the problem to ensure different earthing methods used with street furniture does not create a danger.

This upload_2024-4-29_12-54-25.png seems to be a problem, however we look at earth rod covers upload_2024-4-29_12-55-25.png and upload_2024-4-29_12-55-38.png are very different in to how close to the rod a pedestrian can get. In the main when in the drive or street we have some cover be it brick sets or slabs which mean we are not walking on soil next to the earth rod, and from a building we should be looking at least 2 meters before we park a caravan or motor caravan when in use so the IET picture should not exist as we should not be able to part the car so close to a building.

However how can one test until there is a fault condition. My local lamp post does not have a sticker saying TN-C-S or TT on it, one would hope not TN-C-S, but can't see how anyone can test some one else's street furniture to find out how earthed.

If I look at where I work, the metal framed building started life as new business start up units, so it has at least 4 supplies, since all in the same metal framed building they should not be TN-C-S, however I have a feeling they are. The EV charging point is less than a meter from the building, I am told TT, however clearly the metal cladding and charge point can be both touched together. Not really worried, as it is connected to 8 mile of railway track, so unlikely any dangerous voltages will be their even with loss of PEN.

But best will in the world, can't see until a fault happens, how one would test? It would require the DNO to put labels on all their supplies saying what earthing system is being used put where all can view, having to open some cover to see earth system used would not work.

And all underground services would need to be isolated from any TN-C-S or PME supply. The only way on street charging can be 100% safe is to ban TN-C-S/PME supplies.

Interested to hear what others think.

2. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

Here is what I think.
    I am retired live in the country and will never own an electric car**. Hard to see how it will impact my life :):)

** I tend to buy cars that are between 10 and 20 years old. So, should be able to get a petrol car until 2055.

3. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

Step voltages and touch voltages are a serious issue for any external installation, for the user, or in this case, the public who do not have the protection offered by equipotential bonding. Coupled to this is the issue of rectifying AC to DC and the associated inability to connect one pole of the DC system to earth as this would result in an earth fault for the AC supply once every half cycle. Car chargers rely heavily on the manufacturers insulation on all of the DC system in the car, a fault or leakage to earth anywhere in the HV DC system in the car would pose a hazard to anyone near. It's all a bit like an agricultural or caravan park installation but with added issues.

4. Refuse to Bend

Refuse to Bend Active Member

Earthing of EVSE is not straightforward and the assumption you can bang in a rod and be done with it is not the case. Simultaneous contact between exposed and/or extraneous conductive parts of the TT and TN-C-S system must be avoided. The electrode zone must not overlap buried metalwork connected to the TN-C-S system and this buried metalwork must not unduly influence the potential of the ground adjacent to the vehicle.
    It is far from straight forward and the best option is open PEN protection.
    The amount of non complaint installations is probably countless.

5. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

Open PEN protection will be very useful but is only part of a raft of necessary precautions for safe EV charging. Or you could just buy a cheepo charger with a 13A plug and run an extension lead across the pavement. It seems we can pass as many regulations and codes as we like, someone, somewhere will ignore them and gliby state when challenged "It works don't it?."

6. The Happy Builder

The Happy Builder Screwfix Select

Last edited: Apr 29, 2024
  7. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

Page 24 is interesting, it seems to require a 2 meter space between the parking bay and any street furniture which may have electric to it.
    That is likely to be a problem with the provision of gullies as typically each house is on a different phase, so parking space recommended is 2.6 x 5 meters, so house frontage would need to be 9 meters long. In the main people with that length frontage do not need on street parking.

I like @Comlec will not likely get an electric car, and even if I did, I have rear of property parking which can take 4 cars, so would not need to charge a car where the public, even the postman and milkman will have access.

However I will likely at some point walk past a car on charge, and will not be wearing full PPE when walking past it. To look at the installation on private property where one knows the supply type, and if the items are class I or class II, and have plans for underground services is fair enough. But in the street it is very different. I have no idea if water pipes are iron or plastic, or where the services run.

I can use my loop impedance tester and have a good idea if the supply is TN or TT, but to work out if TN-S or TN-C-S can't do that, and can't use my loop tester on the councils lamp post, so not really a clue as to what street furniture earthing system is.

I know where I work TN-C-S is not allowed, for multi supplies in a steel frame building, but I am reasonable sure it is TN-C-S, but can't prove it. And the EV charging point is not 2 meters from the building.

8. Refuse to Bend

Refuse to Bend Active Member

It should also be noted that even if there is a TN-S supply unless it can be guaranteed by the DNO it is TN-S back to source and there will be no alterations to this it shall be treated the same as TN-C-S.

9. The Happy Builder

The Happy Builder Screwfix Select

With a street light the high resistance of the low wattage lamp and low resistance of an earth rod keeps the touch voltage down, hence the maximum load of 2 kW and maximum earth rod resistance of 200 ohms requirement for use of a PME earth with the street furniture.

It isn’t so easy to keep the touch voltage down with higher wattage EV chargers by simply putting an earth rod in and earth rods cannot just be hammered into the ground on city streets as there are buried services that may be damaged or transfer voltage from elsewhere.

https://electrical.theiet.org/wiring-matters/years/2021/84-march-2021/broken-pen/