Spur for a double socket

Discussion in 'Engineers' Talk' started by HobGoblyn, Apr 1, 2024.

1. HobGoblyn

HobGoblyn New Member

Hi all, sorry another spur question.

My son has a gas hob and an electric built in oven. Ovens died (very old) and gas hob is old.

The oven (and cable for the auto lighting thing on the gas hob) cable goes into a round junction box which has one 1.5mm T&E coming out of it.

Turning off downstairs sockets in the fuse box also turns this off, so must be a spur from somewhere (will need to remove kitchen units to find where it goes.

The replacement oven comes with a 13 amp plug and says it can be plugged into a normal socket.
    Thinking of changing the gas hob to electric, can also get a hob fitted with a 13amp plug.

I presume I’m right in thinking 1.5 T&E is too thin to have both of these plugged in. That being the case, if I replace the 1.5 T&E with 2.5 T&E and replace the round junction box with a double socket, is it safe and usable to have both the oven and hob plugged in? Or will I find if the ovens on, two saucepans boiling away and I stick the kettle on, I’ll trip the fuse?

many thanks

2. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

Firstly, a hob with a 13A plug on it will only deliver 3.5kW of heat maximum. Most hobs are 8kW, cooking will be a slow process. I would suggest a new circuit wired in 10mm T&E from a 32A breaker in the CCU to a cooker control unit local to the hob. Supply the hob, a proper one, with this. Sort out the JB and fit a 13A socket, plug the oven into this. The new circuit for the hob may be notifiable.

Ind spark likes this.
  3. Ind spark

Ind spark Screwfix Select

I like your suggestion Bob, but why 10mm?

4. HobGoblyn

HobGoblyn New Member

Many thanks

As the gas hob works and he’s getting a new kitchen probably next year, I’ll put on a a socket instead of the junction box and just replace oven for now.

5. Hager the Horrible

Hager the Horrible Active Member

6mm not in stock. :D

Ind spark likes this.
  6. Timbo66

Timbo66 Active Member

10.0mm² is a bit of overkill for a gas hob ingnition, don't you think?

7. Wellwisher

Wellwisher Well-Known Member

10 mm cable is way oversized for a 32 amp circuit. 4mm is all that is required.

8. arrow

arrow Screwfix Select

4mm is too small for a 32A cooker circuit. You really are a mine of bad and wrong information.

9. Pocah

Pocah New Member

6mm (say no more!).

10. Wellwisher

No it is not. 4mm cable is perfectly adequate for a 32A circuit. Why do you want to waste money and the worlds dwindling sources of copper?

11. Wellwisher

Oversized and wasteful.

12. Ind spark

Ind spark Screwfix Select

He said "say no more" o_O

adgjl and arrow like this.
  13. arrow

arrow Screwfix Select

Change the record

adgjl and Ind spark like this.