Structural Engineer mentions Subsidence but what do you think?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Klang180, Apr 29, 2024.

1. Klang180

Klang180 New Member

We just had a structural engineer's report back on a property we are hoping to buy and it mentions possible subsidence. He seems to be indicating there is movement on the rear elevation and this could be caused by a leaking pipes making the ground underneath weaker. Is this something that is feasible and if we were to conduct a CCTV survey of the drains would we likely see anything?

The report says the following:

In contrast the rear projection exhibits evidence of typically moderate historic structural
    movement although the trend appears inconsistent. There is clear evidence of a drop
    along the side wall towards the rear corner and at least some settlement also along the
    back gable towards the party wall. Internally there is at least moderate settlement of the
    kitchen floor and some further evidence of movement in the area of the rear landing,
    bathroom and back bedroom.

b) There is evidence of at least moderate historical structural movement having affected
    the rear projection, although no signs of any significant more recent or ongoing
    instability. The exact cause of the movement is unclear, although there is the
    possibility of underground drainage defects, dictating the advisability of arranging a
    CCTV survey and undertaking remedial works if or as found necessary.

2. dray

dray Screwfix Select

I not sure that I read it the same as you, he indicates historic movement, that could also be affecting the underground drainage, that would need to be checked and rectified. Interesting to see what others make of it.

3. Klang180

Klang180 New Member

Oh interesting. I read that the movement is caused by a possible leak in the drainage being the culprit. It didn't occur to me to think of it that way around!

4. RegB

RegB Active Member

He says the building has moved about a bit in the past, it's not doing it now, and guesses that the drains may have had something to do with it, i.e. have admitted material which has then been washed away, or emitted something which has washed soil away.

"Dictating the advisability of arranging a CCTV survey" is a strange way of saying "advise getting someone to investigate the drains". It does not sound urgent because there is only "historical" movement, and the drains may not have been the problem anyway. This also begs the question "How recent is 'historical'"?

Maybe you could call whoever wrote the report and have a chat.

5. Klang180

Klang180 New Member

Thanks for your input. Yeah I think we need to talk to the survryor/engineer asap but unfortunately he is seeming very unresponsive. Very good question to ask how recent historical is and whether he thinks it is an issue that has now settled.

6. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

Many old buildings have suffered some movement for a variety of reasons: Dem gerrrrrmans and their bombs 14/18 and 39/45 shouldn't be ignored as a possible in many areas.

Sounds a bit like CYA time for the SE: possible, could, historic etc. More info from him is a definite requirement.

7. Klang180

Klang180 New Member

Thanks for this. I am talking to him later today so should have a better idea of why he thinks these things very soon. Your input has been very useful, thanks.