10mA fused-connector RCD ?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by lensman, Mar 22, 2004.

1. lensman

lensman New Member

I'd like to spur an external socket from an internal circuit. The internal circuit is protected by a 30mA RCD at the CU, so I'd like to put a 10mA RCD on the spur between the internal ciruit and the external socket. Any idea where to get such a thing, ideally in a form that would fit a 1g metal box?

2. Pro-Spark

Pro-Spark New Member

3. lensman

lensman New Member

Why do you want 10 mA, it wont discriminate with
    30mA

I did indeed want it to discriminate to avoid shutting down most of the house (hence why I asked about 10mA since the main CU is 30mA). What would discriminate?

4. plugwash

plugwash New Member

you don't have much hope of achiveing discrimination with a 30ma non delay rcd upstream a 10ma might do it but then it might not and 10ma rcd spurs are hugely expensive i only found one source http://www.loblite.com/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_RCD_Spur9.html. at £82! and there is still no saying wheter it will discriminate

i think the only reasonable soloution is to deal with this at the cu

if you have a split load cu and a spare slot the most sensible option imo would be to run the outside socket directly from a 16A 30ma rcbo at the cu

if you have a non split cu with 2 neutral bars and 3 slots spare you can probablly convert it to split load with a kit from the manufacturer then do as above

failing that you have two options
    1: replace your cu with a split load
    2: split the tails and run a small rcd cu just for your outside socket

rcds of any rateing other than 30ma seem to be both hard to get and expensive

5. LSpark

LSpark New Member

i think you will find it will NOT discriminate, but try if u like lol

6. lensman

lensman New Member

Thanks for the advice guys - especially saving me some wasted time and money setting up a 10mA connection. I've got plenty of spare ways in my CU, so I'll just put in another RCBO and run the socket cable directly from that.