15mm hot pipe from cylinder doeasn't appear to have a shut-off valve

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Des Lavender, Apr 17, 2014.

1. Des Lavender

Des Lavender Member

Hi. What would be the best way to shut the water off to the hot pipe that comes from my cylinder to the Kitchen tap. I can't see anything from the airing cupboard side and I need to shut it off in order to cut and move the pipe. Many thanx. Des.

2. Assuming you have a traditional vented cylinder with a tank in the loft then if you run your hands around the bottom of the cylinder you will find a 22mm pipe entering close to the bottom. Follow this pipe upwards and you should find a red wheeled gate valve on it somewhere. Note for hot water you turn it off by closing the inlet to the cylinder and not the hot pipe coming out.
    Hope this helps.

3. Des Lavender

Des Lavender Member

Of course!! Time for the stilsons! Many thanks. :)

4. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

if you can't find the valve or its siezed, turn off the cold mains then open all taps till the water drains then you can cut the hot pipe,

5. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

If I'm reading your post correctly, I'm thinking that your are telling him to shut off the cold feed in, if so this wouldn't be a RED gate valve, it would be a lever or normal stop tap as it's on the cold supply.

6. No Phil, traditionally it will be a red wheeled gate valve. However, I think we are at crossed purposes as I am talking about the tank fed cold feed into the cylinder and perhaps you were talking about the mains cold feed into the header tank.

7. Phil the Paver

No I was thinking cold feed from the header tank, I was under the impression the red valves means HOT be it water or heating and normal stop tap or a lever type tap is COLD either mains or header tank, my certainly is set up like that.

8. No gate valves have red heads as that's the colour your face will go when you try to use it. Heaven knows why they are still so popular I think they're the devil's work. Invariably they're stuck on and if you do manage to get them to close they never fully close allowing just enough of a dribble to prevent soldering! Bring on lever valves I say.

9. Des Lavender

Des Lavender Member

Well, job jobbed!!! The feed to the cylinder was a 28mm jobby. Thanks for the help.

10. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

11. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

Phil if you have a lever valve or to give it its correct name a full bore valve then at some time someone in the past has improved your system. As has been said hundreds of times on here gate valves are prone to letting by purely by their design where as a full bore lever valve can't. The colours on the tap heads/handles are irrelevant. You will see red handles on gas meters when ideally they should be yellow, you'll see blue handles on hot and cold supplies etc. Nine times out of ten its a question of tracing the pipework to what it feeds and where from. Hope that helps.

Dave

12. Phil the Paver

D.D.G, I get what your saying, it would make sense though if valve were colour coded, would save a lot of hunting around following pipes. :)

13. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

Too true my friend too true